Opera without Singing

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by dizforprez, Sep 20, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I was reading in the notes of Robert Sullivan's treasures for trumpet and he mentions an album by Ghitalla called Opera without singing.

Does any one know if this is still sold and where to get it from? and if it isnt still out there is someone willing to share ? :oops:

2. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    The album was a Boston Pops release and it features Ghitalla on 4 or 5 arias.
    You can still find it.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  4. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    The CD "opera without words" has some of the same arias from the original and some different ones. I'll have to look through my stuff and get back to you.

5. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    I agree. As with many CD's that were originally vinyl, this appears to have the tracks that were on my LP, with some additions.

It's a keeper!

Larry Malin

6. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually,
    I have this CD and it is a beautiful one, but if memory serves me correctly, it is missing some of the tracks from the original album...and I think some of the tracks are different performances from the origianl recording as well.
    I remember being lent that record when I was in High School and hearing Mundy play the Barber of Seville on that...IT was pretty cool...Or at least that's what I remember...It has been a long time.

Mike

7. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    Yes, the original vinyl or even cassette has more trumpet solos than this CD. It's worth tracking down.

8. Robert1

Robert1 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    Opera w/o Singing

The recording "Opera Without Singing" has long been OOP. Occasionally you can find a copy either in used LP stores, or on online auction sites. To my knowledge, it was never on CD (I realize a similarly titled CD exists), and found only in LP or cassette.

Anyway, the original recording is on RCA, and the album # is
    LM-1906. The Boston Pops Orchestra, Arthur Fiedler, Conductor. It has a red album cover, with a sort of a sketch of an opera singer with her mouth bound with a cloth. The liner notes are copyright 1956, so it goes back a few years. The bands are as follows:

Side I

Band 1 Verdi - Aida: Act II: Grand March
    Band 2 Rossini - Barber of Seville: Act I: Largo al Factotum
    Band 3 Offenbach - Tales of Hoffman: Act III: Barcarolle
    Band 4 Bizet - Carmen: Act II: Toreador Song
    Band 5 Donizetti - Lucia di Lammermoor: Act II: Sextet
    Band 6 Puccini - La Boheme: Act I: Che Gelida Manina
    Band 7 Verdi - Rigoletto: Act I: Caro Nome

Side II

Band 1 Verdi Il Trovatore: Act II: Anvil Chorus
    Band 2 Massenet Thais: Act II: Meditation
    Band 3 Verdi Rigoletto: Act IV: Quartet
    Band 4 Verdi Il Trovatore: Act IV: Miserere
    Band 5 Wagner Tannhauser: Act III: Evening Star
    Band 6 Bizet Carmen: Act I: Habanera
    Band 7 Puccini La Boheme: Act II: Musetta's Waltz
    Band 8 Gounod Faust: Act IV: Soldiers' Chorus

Lots of great solo trumpet playing on several of these by Armando Ghitalla. Some is really quite stunning in my opinion, particularly that found in Largo al Factotum, Che Gelida Manina, and the Sextet from Lucia di Lammermoor. What an exquisite sound and style.