opinion of Holton MF ST550

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Jun 19, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

I think I have found the trumpet for me...a Holton MF ST 550. But I was wondering if there were more opinions. I also have tried http://www.trumpetreview.com/ And there are no reviews.

Thank you for your opinions :D

2. zuester

zuester New Friend

Mar 25, 2005
    The ST550 is an excellent trumpet, Holton list them as an intermediate level horn BUT they play like PRO horns , I have played on some (new and used) and they play great , really sings in upper register.

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I just tried one and really loved it. I actually just finished posting the same question you did by mistake.

After trying the horn, I realized they are only listed as an intermediate level horn. If you look at the specs of the ST308 and ST101 and st 105 there do not seem to be any differances in the horns!

I was offered a used one for $625 and I have seen them new for about $900.

I play on a $3000 "Superhorn" and this student model line feels and plays so much better! I am now really confused :?:

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Now you're starting to catch on! It isn't the cost of the horn, it isn't how shiny the horn is, it isn't about whose name is on the horn----it is all about how the horn plays!

I"ve got a beauty of a Conn 22B that I've played side by side comparisons with of several 'super horns'. The Conn plays every bit as good and only cost me $350! :D

5. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ok Mr. w. Scott----I feel the pain------But $3000 should play better :dontknow: Oh yes, its nice and shinny :D

6. trumpet_guy

trumpet_guy New Friend

Oct 6, 2008
    Michigan
    Just bought a used one yesterday. Only 3 years old. The woman was stupid. Got it for $425!!! Love it. Plays great, and works well with my combo of the Holton ST550 MF and my Jet Tone MF mouthpiece.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In my 'accumilation' I have an old Reynolds Medalist trumpet that has been battered a bit, and then 'somewhat' straightened. This was a gift from a pro jazz player over in Maryland. I know he lurks here and will be pleased by these remarks. I dug it out of the bottom of the pile of trumpet cases last week and found that that old raw brass student grade horn played at least as well as my KIng Liberty or Silvertone, or my two high grade Olds trumpets. I could go on with my comparisons because, I have more than a few horns to make these comparisons with, but, the old Reynolds Medalist plays as well, or better than anything in my current inventory. Mr.W.Scott is absolutely correct in his quote above.

OLDLOU>>

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have to agree with Lou. I got my Medalist in vgc from ebay a few weeks ago very cheap and really like it's playing qualities, mostly the tone quality, over my Ambassador and equal to the other "good horns" I have or have had , like the Besson and a Strad I played for 22 yrs exclusively. My abilities and playing groups don't require a $3000 horn. Sort of like driving around a Caddy when a Cavalier will do the job.

9. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    I've had the opportunity to try out many trumpets, and some of the so called "super horns" just wasn't for me, as I was able to play an Olds Ambassador better than say a Getzen Sevrinson, Bach Stradivarius 37, etc.
    Its just a matter of how you feel about what you're able to do on it. If anyone needs a $3000+ trumpet to play well, I think hitting the books and practicing along with finding a private instructor will help save some time and money, that's just my opinion on an old thread. But if it takes that kind of money to sound good, then more power to all who have spent it.:roll:

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Agreed.

The Olds Ambassador is a fine horn.