Opinion on what I think is a disgusting practice???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok their is a guy on Ebay "[​IMG]rnbsitler" instead of selling the trumpet's and other instruments that are playable and in good shape he strips them and sells them. So right now if you want you can by a Holten Colligate body for one price, set of thee valves for another price, tuning slides for another price and so on. Now I have no problem with people parting out horns that are damaged tot he point that it would cost more to repair them then what they are worth etc......This horn though is in pristine shape outside of a small flat spot onthe edge of the bell. I did not see the finger buttons I can only guess what he did with those. I thought about being the valves out of spite just so that he would be stuck with a horna nd slides that no one could use!!!! I love watching some people relist the same junk for months at a time and it not selling! It becomes like a landmark while searching. I would hope that no one would buy from him until he stops parting out good horns. If he sold every part he still has for it he is looking at $60 but that is a big if because if someone buys the valves and slides first he is stuck with a trumpet body with a flat spot onthe bell with no valves and no slides. If he had sold it outright he could have easily made $40 or more off it and not had to worry about being stuck with somethign. Sure if he got stuck with it he would just toss it in the trash because that is how people like him operate.

I just went back their and I was wrong he still has the buttons and valve caps so it is complete. I sent him a nasty grahm telling politely what I thought of that practice and my sincer hope that no one will buy from him until he stops that practice. What is next a Kunstal or Bach Strad stripped and pimed out pice mill??? I do not know about the rest of the pack but I have never ever came across some one that had three valves, buttons and cap's sitting in their junk drawer at home waiting for the rest of the trumpet to come along on ebay to make their trumpet complete!!!LOL

Let the opinions fly!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I'm not sure what the problem is. He is selling a complete horn from the same time period for abougt $300. If you add all the parts on the buy it now price, the other horn would be $80, so obviously there is some reason he is doing that with the one horn and not the other. Instead of complaining, why not just by all the parts for $80 and put it together and sell the complete horn on Ebay? I thought that is what you did?

Schwab likes this.
  3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Who on earth are you to tell ANYONE what to do with their horn(s)?!?!?!? Did you also see that the same seller has at least one other COMPLETE 1961 Holton Colligate for auction as well, or don't you care about that?

Not sure who appointed you the trumpet police, the internet police, or the Trumpetmaster police, but just because your narrow mind thinks something, it doesn't make it correct.

Maybe that guy works exclusively on Holtons and those are his leftover parts? Maybe he was in a terrible car accident and needs all the cash he can for medical bills? Maybe he jujst gets off on destroying horns that YOU like?

Either way, if it's his property then he's free to do with it whatever he wants...

edcon1981 and Schwab like this.
  4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Speaking of opinion (which IS what one thinks)-
    It truly seems to me that there is a whole batch of vituperation being unleashed here, by the OP and in response to it. Why do we dump our ill will so carelessly here? We need to seek out better, more constructive outlets for our frustration, and I personally can't think of anything better than to pour it into practicing the trumpet, or working on our spelling, or taking a good hike in the woods while practicing the ROWUK deep-breathing technique.
    -just a VEERY point of view

YamaMan likes this.
  5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Very well said, Veery. An opinion is an opinion. Remember that

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well first I never said I had the right to tell anyone what to do with their horn. I stated something tot he effect that parting out a perfectly playable horn was disgusting to me! I never said it was a crime or said he should be drawn and quatered!!LOL Obviously our opinions differ greatly but that does not make your opinion any more right or proper then my own. Short of breaking a law their is not much of anything that is cast in stone especialynot these days with the advent " anything is right for anyone even if it is not right for you" type of thinking where their are no absolutes no line in the sand and everything is up for debate!

So from I take it some think this is a good practice and one that is best for all involved then???? So when the valves get bought up and the rest is left behind what then? Is it good to think of a trumpet like a paper plate or some other disposable item? Is it good to send this stuff tot he land fill? No one will take on trumpet in to a salvage yard the gas to drive their to sell the scrap would cost more then the trumpet is worth for it's weight of brass.

So instead of bashing me for my opinion which I am allowed to have and voice in a polite manner let's get som intelligent conversations going on the morality and ethics behind it! This is very well as polarizeing of a topic in music as abortion is in politics!

If you are on this site and are angry with me for asking a serious question that has plagued musicans for a long time too bad! Every vintage horn that get's butchered is one less horn we have. We can never trun back the clock and have 1920-1950 back again for the USA we are never going to have the manufactureing base we once had or the number of skilled craftsman or any of the stuff that we had before that was great about the USA. What we do have is the ability to try to keep some of those things around and alive and out of landfills. Their is not a lot of stuff made in America anymore. No matter how you slice it I have an opinion as we all do so lets share them with out attacking each other!!!

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I have a nice strad desk lamp that I made.... you can actually see part of it in my avatar.

(HEHEHE)

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    For me, it seems like this guy is offering parts
    so it is possible to rebuild/fix another 5-6 Holtons out there.
    That's not disgusting at all. That's very kind of him.
    If someone is smart, it's possible to buy the complete
    trumpet for appr $80-90, as Bill said.

Drinking rocket fuel is very dangerous.....:shock:

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    meh. it's his horns, his parts, he can do whatever he wants with them.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "So instead of bashing me for my opinion which I am allowed to have and voice in a polite manner let's get som intelligent conversations going on the morality and ethics behind it! This is very well as polarizeing of a topic in music as abortion is in politics!"

LOL! What on earth are you going on about? Morals and ethics? How do those apply to someone putting parts up for sale on e-bay?

If anything the seller is helping people like YOU who are looking to do horn repair on their own! Since the sum total for all of his parts is less than $100 how on earth is he ripping anyone off??

You are assuming that he disassembled a perfectly good horn when in fact he may very well have parted out several. If you look at his other items for sale, you'll see a similar horn that's complete, so isn't it possible that he's selling the leftovers?

Why are you assuming that his motives are anything but good? He's putting up good quality replacement parts on sale for a good price, so people like YOU can repair horns?