Opinion please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Feb 8, 2006.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Manny, I just read about TCE (I know, welcome to earth). What do you know/think of it? Do you or any other pros use it? Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have no idea what it is other than it's one of many alphabet systems of embouchure study/development.

The only thing I've learned from perusing embouchure opinion is that I have an ineffecient embouchure because I play with a flat chin.

I'll work on it.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    What little I know is that it stands for "Tongue Controlled Embouchre" and that people use it to get extreme upper register playing quickly.

Other than curiosity, why are you interested in that? How would you describe your sound?

A few things to be warned/thinking about before you try ANYTHING drastic like this:
    1. The longest distance between 2 points is a shortcut. In this case, although you may gain quite a bit of upper register in the short term, it would seem to me that manipulating the embouchre with the tongue would cause tone problems over the long term. The other thing to increase the distance to your goal would be the development of habits or systems of playing that you eventually find undesirable, cumbersome, or harmful. To break them might be a major setback.

2. If undertaken without the supervision of a qualified teacher, you could do more damage than good.

Why not just stick with thinking about producing a beautiful, musical sound that sings clear as a bell in all registers, and let the small stuff take care of itself? If embouchre gurus label Manny's embouchre as inefficient, then I would like to be so inefficient.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks, I'm just a noodler so I don't have any desire to do anything but enjoy my old horns, I thank both for your time. I was curious if this was valid method that younger pros were using or just a trick new fad.Anyone else know any stories on this? Thanks

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    To use Manny's phrase, I think the "alphabet systems" do have a useful function: they provide trumpet players with something else to argue about!

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nyuk, nyuk and AMEN Toots! :lol:

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Not just that Toots but it also gives the “internet gurus†a means of making a buck.

“step right up, hurry hurry hurry, all your questions will be answered, etc etc etc.."

I have heard no one use TCE in a manner that would make me want to implement it in my own playing. Developing ones ability on the trumpet takes paying attention to fine details in sound, not muscle movement.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks ladies and germs! nyuck nyuck

"you can even get stucko! Boy can you get stucko!" G. Marx

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    There's a sucker born every minute. P. T. Barnum

It seems to me a lot of these types of systems, make a lot of $ for the author, but for most people aren't very good the best way to improve oneself is to go in the practice room and work you butt off. Always thinking about the sound

They seem to be taking advantage of the fact that trumpet players can be gullible in the name of getting the elusive high range.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Now i'm curious...

How does the Tongue Control the Embouchure? Don't they work somewhat in sync based on the register? Would controlling the tongue be akin to controlling the aperture and just as damaging, psychologically?

Anybody know about this method?

ML