Opinion please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- My understanding is you use the tongue to apply pressure to the bottom lip (sounds ghastly, doesn't it?) from the inside of the mouth. There was alot of discussion on this on TrumpetHerald... I belive there is still a whole forum dedicated to the topic over there. From what I see over there, it really came into vogue via Jerry Callet.

2. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    Manny,

The basic idea of TCE is to stick your tongue between your teeth and hold it against your upper lip as you play. The tip of you tongue basically replaces your lower lip. Some people can play high and loud like this. I don't know much more about it, so maybe someone else will fill in the blanks.

TCE certainly doesn't appeal to me because playng screaming double Cs is very low on my "to do" list. :cool:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, that's one of the funniest things I have read in a while! I like it! :D

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So it seems like a method that is for lead players, then? Folks that have to do a fair amount of screaming and hard tonguing up there?

ML

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Manny,

You would think so, but if you ask the TCE guys about it they claim that all kind of people use it. Anyone from Phil Smith to Maurice Andre......Are you sure you dont use it ;-)

come clean manny, we all know that is how you play all those high notes :lol:

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Let's not bring the wives into this now..........

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Oooooo Mendez....youse a naughty one! LOL. (sha dump boom!)

8. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    Manny,

If you're still curious, check out this TCE link.

http://www.tce-studio.com/main.html?hq

I guess the guy claims that TCE is THE way to go to play baroque solos on natural trumpet. I not sure I approve of him calling the piccolo trumpet a "bastard instrument." :roll:

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Fascinating. He certainly sounds better on the natural trumpet than I ever would! However, I don't see how an orchestral player would sound good using that method. The sound is too thin and squealing. I don't think you'd last two minutes in a great orchestra only because it seems too limiting. But then, people are capable of a lot and are only limited by the breadth of their imagination. I certainly wouldn't have been able to tell what he was doing if I hadn't read it. I just would have thought "Nice flexibility. Tight approach, however."

Thanks for that link, I found it interesting.

ML

10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Peter Masseurs, princpipal of the Concertgebouw Orchestra is using this technique. He showed me this technique and he sure sounds good with it.