Opinions on Bach model 3293

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrianP, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi, I am new to trumpet. I took lessons in elementary school forever ago but now I am back and looking for a trumpet. My local classsifieds have a Vincent Bach Trumpet by Selmer model #3293 listed. I can't find any information on this horn. It is listed with hardcase for $350. If you have an opinion on this horn please let me know.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Never heard of that model. I think you need to get more details and some pictures. Bach pro horns have actually 3 digit numbers like 180, 229, 228 and then the bell and leadpipe. The student horns have letters and numbers like TR300.

There is no 329 or 293 and no 32, 29 or 93 series bell.

3. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    Thanks, I asked for pics :)

4. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    Here are the only pics provided so far..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I asked for more pics including the lead pipe.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Probably a "designed by Bach" Selmer or Bundy marked horn.........Buck:oops:

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's a student line trumpet made by Bach. Depending on how old it is, it may be called a Bundy. It's a good entry level horn though the price may be a little high. There's no way to tell about valve wear or acid rot. Ask questions.

The seller didn't post the right model number.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The name of the horn is on the top of the bell - where no pictures were sent. It is a student horn and WAY too expensive at $350.

All of the important angles for meaningful pictures are missing. Back in the Bundy student horn days, they had wood shell cases with compartments for music and stands, not cast plastic.

8. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    I felt it was expensive also. I really appreciate the info :)

9. BrianP

BrianP New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    I also just found someone selling a Yamaha YTR-734 for $100 also. According to the seller it is is silver in color with no dings but is tarnished. Is this a decent trumpet to start with?

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes, any Yamaha is decent. The 3-digit models are older - probably 1970's and have been replaced by the 4-digit models. The 1st digit indicates (as far as I know) the "level" and the 6, 7, 8-series are the professional grades so if this horn is in good condition, it seems like a good value for the price. I have an older YTR-232, student model, and even it would be a great trumpet for a comeback player (of which I am one). There are a lot of us here who started on lesser trumpets and worked our way up. You should be fine.