Oppurtunities Outside the Orchestra

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by WaWa, Oct 2, 2005.

1. WaWa

WaWa New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Texas
    Mr. Laureano,

I have plans on becoming an orchestral musician, but I was wondering about the oppurtunities available outside of the orchestra.

For instance, without cutting into your practice time..would you say you would have time to play in a local Big Band..or Jazz group? Or how about be on a sub list for a local Musical theatre or Opera? I was just curious as to how limited playing in an orchestra can be, or how many musical possibilities there are.

Please let me know if this is the wrong type of question..Im not quite sure of the rules on this particular forum. :oops:

Thank you for your time,

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Peyton,

The fact is that when you play with an orchestra like the MO you devote a lot of your playing energies to it and while it may seem as though you're losing the chance to play in those other types of groups, you really don't miss it as much as you presently think you might.

Think of it this way: a major league ball player doesn't think about playing for a regular softball game Tuesday nights or playing on a bowling league every Saturday night because the energies to play on a major league team require a lot of commitment. During the off season, okay, there's a little more time for that sort of thing. But during the regular season you get very choosy about how you spend your extra time. The other thing is that very often , those kinds of playing opportunities show up in the course of a symphony season.

For example, I get to play big band stuff for Doc Severinsen when his program requires it. I don't play local musical theatre but I get to play Grand Opera repertoire instead. So, you really don't miss it.

ML

3. WaWa

WaWa New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks a lot for explaining that :D

I understand completely what you are saying. I never really thought of it that way.

I really appreciate the great response, :-)