Optical or Coaxial

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by MahlerBrass, Jun 26, 2005.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hello all! I have a home audio system where I use my XBOX as my DVD player, I want to update to an actual DVD player so I can play all of my DVDs and a lot of my SACDs that won't play on my XBOX, my question is, I'm more interested in getting the best sound on movies and music over games. Right now, my XBOX is hooked up through the optical in on my receiver, since I only have one optical in and one coaxial in, which would give me the better sound quality? Thanks a lot folks!

2. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Opt or Coax?

I went through all of these pain staking decisions when I was building my Home Theater... In the end I could not tell a difference in sound quality between Optical or Coaxial.. I utilize both throughout my system and have changed back -n- fourth only to not really hear a major change.

Everyone's ears are different!!

Tony G

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I gave you a rambling response on the other website. :-)

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Frankly, I agree with Tony. I don't think it much matters. I run coax from my DVD player and witht that I can still FEEL the bullets whizz past my ears when I watch the opening scene for Dances with Wolves (painfully long to sit through, but one of the most well-done surround-soundtracks I've ever heard for a movie).

And I mean it when I say FEEL. My mother almost jumped out of her seat the first time we saw it. If you can get clarity and sound imaging that precise, I would say you're fine to go either way with it.

I'd be more worried about how good my speakers are, the cabled that connect them, and how pure the amplification is from the reciever/amp itself...

5. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with rjzeller in that speakers are far more important than what digital connection you use.

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That's not an issue :D

7. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good to hear! No issue for me too :-)