Optimising practice time...

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by bigbrowncow, Dec 18, 2003.

1. bigbrowncow

bigbrowncow New Friend

Dec 3, 2003
    London
    1. Hands up who thinks the H L Clarke technical studies are any good?

2. Hands up who spends time every day working through the jazz scale/arpeggio syllabus?

3. Hands up who thinks it would be helpful to have a jazz version of the technical studies?

Just a thought....someone should do this!

Steve

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Get Allan Vizzutti's 3 books. He has a lot of Clarke-type studies, but in minor and diminished keys as well.

Mike

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    My hands are up!

Obviously you don't know my 1983 book "Technical Studies for the Modern Trumpet" which is Clarke and Arban type studies on jazz scales with chord symbols, etc. It's published by Jamey Aebersold.

Oh yeah, it's available in the UK from Jazzwise.

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

I was about to post about 4 books by Prof. Pat Harbison of Indiana University , that I have just what you were asking for, but PH beat me to it. Well, I second his post.

I also have Al Vizzutti's book which is excellent, but these 4 books are defiantly" What the doctor ordered†.

Technical Studies for the Modern Trumpet
    20 Authentic Bebop Jazz Solos
    Except from Technical Studies for the Modern Trumpet
    Samples from 20 Authentic Bebop Jazz Solos

Here is Prof. Pat Harbison's website: http://www.patharbison.com/

I just heard his new CD " Conspiracy Theory " ( I don't have a copy yet, I actually heard it over another IU alumnus house , Charlie Davis place, who speaks very highly of Prof. Harbison , but it’s on my Christmas List ).

Prof Harbison has been a highly regarded educator in Jazz Studies for many years, studying with the great David Baker and trumpet with the immortal trumpet teacher Bill Adams ( Charlie Davis , Jerry Hey and Larry Hall are also Mr. Adams students ) who’s methods I also advocate and practice daily.

By the way, Joey Tartell , former Maynard Ferguson lead trumpet player , is now also on the staff at Indiana University.
    What a powerhouse trumpet dept. IU has. If only I was 18 again.

Larry Gianni

PS: You can put your hands down now and go practice.