Orchestra stuffs!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by andredub, Oct 21, 2005.

1. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    Mr. Laureano,

As someone with very little orchestral experience and almost finished with school, I've started wondering about orchestral auditions and how to approach them, something I've never thought about before. I was wondering if you could guide me through a couple of basics.

The more simple of the questions : Where can I get a book of all the big trumpet parts for auditions? I've seen people around here walking around with huge books of excerpts. Are those just illegal RealBooks for orchestras?

When auditioning for any professional orchestra all players seem to be able to play all the excerpts with no problem. I've heard endlessly about how you can't do anything too over the top musically, but at the same time you have to stand out. I've heard that said in exactly that way hundreds of times, but noone has ever elaborated on exactly what that means, and what is too much or what is not enough. How do/did you approach performing your excerpts and what sort of things can help you stand out from the hundreds of people who can play the excerpts technically perfectly? (Without sounding way over the top/crazy/over expressive/insert anothing word describing the act of being over expressive)

Thanks for the help!

Andre

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Andre,

Personally, I don't think you should, at this point, be too worried about professional orchestral auditions but focus your energies to basic auditioning; getting into the college you want, a local youth symphony, a community orchestra, solo competitons such as you've entered before.

It's a mistake to believe that in order to win an audition you have to affect the music in an unusual way for the sake of standing out. You win by standing out because you simply did all the basic things better than anyone else on that given day. Superior endurance, solid technique, accurate rhythm, unshakeable pulse (where appropriate), the widest range of dynamics with a remarkable sense of intonation, phrases that sing... those are the qualities you should aspire for any audition, not eccenricities that call attention to themselves.

You are wise to start to seek out complete parts. Since you don't have a lot of orchestral experience, as you say, the key is to build your library of complete parts and do a lot of listening to recordings and concerts. Have you decided on which school/conservatory/university?

I think you were 13 when I first heard you play about 5 years ago, is that right? It was at the Open House at Monette's.

Good luck,

ML

3. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    Mr. Laureano
    I'm not really planning on auditioning for major orchestras quite yet :p
    I was more curious about what sets yourself/other players apart from the rest of the pack. I've heard so many ideas on how to play auditions "musically better", but there was never really an answer as much as a vague idea to think about, so its nice to get a real solution.

I'm currently finishing up my last year and a half at McGill University, and just want to get thinking about post graduate life (which will probobly involve moving to LA since being a street musician in Montreal doesnt work when its -40 and snowing!)

As far as complete parts go, are they very expensive?

Thanks again for the help

Andre

p.s. Yes I played at the Monette clinic, and I remember you giving me some great pre performance advice regarding nerves. It helped a bunch :)

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Parts can be expensive. But there is an economical way. For about $20 per you can get the Orchestra Musicians Library. It is a CD-rom and ou just print what you need. It even has the section parts, not just first, and had cornet and trumpet parts. There are 5 volumes out with a 6th due out in November.

Yes it does have the major pieces, except for things that are not public domain (ie Bartok Concerto for Orchestra)