Orchestra vs Wind Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Feb 23, 2011.

Do you prefer orchestra or wind band

1. Orchestra

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Wind Band

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    Which do you like better? Assuming that both have players of the same skill level and dedication, which would you like better, wind band or orchestra?

For me, I like wind band better because of the balance of timbres (more varied) and the melody rather than always being given to one instrument (like strings in orchestra) is shared and rotated between all the instruments in the ensemble and the literature is much more varied and diverse.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, your question is almost like asking "What color Porsche do you like best?" As long as it is a Porsche I'll like it just fine, thank you! I give a slight nod to the orchestra. I find the addition of strings to a wind band adds a lot of nifty colors and texture, saxophones and baritone horns are added only as needed (not often, but when they are they get some cool parts to play!) and the history and repertoire is richer. I find the concept of one wind player per part lends itself to easier mind-melding within and across sections.

As an added bonus, it is much easier to annoy violists in an orchestra, unless they are in the audience at a band concert.

Both are good.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I like both. If everything were equal, I would go with band. I like the band arrangements more.

All that being said, it's hard to find a good band and there are a lot of good orchestras around.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm probably treating this fairly simplistically, but what do you get if you add strings and woodwind, and some more percussion to a brass band? An Orchestra! And so that new super-band can play everything the brass band could, as well as all the other stuff around by "switching on" the new players. And from time to time you switch off the brass section for certain passages. :-)

Also consider -- is the Dallas Wind Symphony a band or an orchestra?

--bumblebee

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I actually prefer Concert band, but that wasn't a choice (;-)).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The balance of timbre is NOT more varied in band.

Both have equal possibilities for expression. It takes a lot longer to learn to play the fiddle than it does the sax. That means that an amateur wind band can have less "marinal" players than an amateur orchestra.

7. rainbowboy023

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    "I actually prefer Concert band, but that wasn't a choice (;-))." -tobylou08

That actually brings up an interesting question, for you wind band lovers out their, do you prefer a smaller 40 to 50 wind ensemble that's usually 1 max 2 per part or a larger up to a 100 person concert band that may have up to 3 or 4 or even 5 in the woodwind section per part? I personally like a smaller wind ensemble better.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For me, bigger is better. Could be that's what I'm used to and I lean towards loud and raucous.

9. rainbowboy023

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    Not to hijack this thread, but I've notice that on peoples posts there is a title like new friend, pianissimo, piano, mezzo piano, mezzo forte, forte, fortissimo, or ultimate user, what do those mean, does it have to do with how many post you've made?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes. There is NO correlation between knowledge and post count. Some of us just like to rant. It's your post so hijack away! :thumbsup: