Orchestra vs Wind Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Feb 23, 2011.

Do you prefer orchestra or wind band

1. Orchestra

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Wind Band

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I personally find the repertoire of the orchestra more appealing. The overtures of Wagner to the glorious passions of Mahler to the predictable Beethoven 3 to the imagery of La Mer.

Repertoire really does it for me. Other than that, I really love the sound of an orchestra over the band. But I think that opinion results from lack of great repertoire for band. I would drive hours to go hear Winds of Nagual live by a professional group. I would drive half an hour to go hear La Fiesta Mexicana live. There are other classics such as 1st / 2nd Suite by Holst that deserve the audience. However, I just don't find much of the band repertoire, even the greatly accepted level 4/5/6s that appealing. Yes, I love playing them and listening to them but the orchestra repertoire just has hundreds of years on the band repertoire.

Anyway, the sound of an orchestra is perfect for me just like David Harrington finds the sound of a string quartet instrumentation to be the most perfect sound on earth.

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I much prefer the orchestra to the wind band, but that's only because having the chance to play in an orchestra is a rare experience for me, as the music centre that I attend doesn't have an orchestra, so I only get the chance to play in one, two times a year.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Playing in a band and an orchestra isn't the same thing with added strings. The arrangements are way different. The voicing are way different.
    You can sit there and count 100 measures rest and then play a couple of notes and then count again in the orchestra. That usually doesn't happen in the band.

I like a smaller band with one on a part. I think I get more freedom and control. I can hear the other parts better when I'm alone on my part.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I will go with Wind, however a preference for Concert with a Cello is my favourite.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Concert +
    BTW : that's a Tuba doubling on Cello...Wow , drooling already.

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    wow might have to start composing for brass band with an orchestra! that would be epic!

7. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I like what I enjoy playing, so both the repertoire and how the parts are devided among different instruments is what does it for me. That means that I'd rather play in a brass band or wind band, than in a wind+strings band because the trumpet parts are much shorter, and there's a lot more rest. On top of that I like the wind band repertoire more.

Also: I don't know what all those names mean exacly. Would someone please tell me what orchestra/band has what instruments? The only one I'm sure of is the brass-band :)

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wind Band or Wire Band?

They both have real advantages.

Nothing can beat the power of a good symphony orchestra, or the delicate beauty of the same.

Then again, a brass band playing chorale music can also move you to many emotional moments.

I like a real cooking vintage swing band, but look at what the Big Phatt Band does with modern swing music.

For me....I like them all.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Orchestra. I like the music better.

And, was that Wire Band or Wine Band? (if it was wine band that could change my answer).

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    For me, it depends on the repertoire. I love to play orchestral music with significant trumpet parts. Counting 150 measures to play a couple percussive notes?.....Nope - I'd rather be in the audience enjoying the piece instead of counting. You're generally assured of playing more in a wind band, but then you have to put up with a lot more squawking woodwinds, especially saxes...:cool: For legit music, I'd rather listen to strings than saxes any day.