Orchestra vs Wind Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Feb 23, 2011.

Do you prefer orchestra or wind band

1. Orchestra

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Wind Band

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    While both orchestra and wind band are great. I prefer the orchestra. Plus you get to transpose a lot more than in a wind band.

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    For me, it's two separate things. I'd like to play in a wind ensemble more, as has been said, usually the voicings give us more melodies to play rather than the strings. If I'm sitting in an audience, I'd have to go with orchestra for sheer listening, though.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I prefer listening to wind band. The dynamics of the instruments match up better.

IE The percussion can play like percussion, the brass can play like brass and the woodwinds can be woodwinds. In an Orchestra, it seems like the main show are the violinist, and most the people only play in the crescendo at the end, the soloist gets mic'ed in the end anyway. If you want to hear strings go to a Symphony.

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    How about a brass ensemble and then you can stand out more when you have a solo section to play within the piece of music and a lot of pieces we play both the 1st and 2nd trumpets will have different times to shine. I have played in both a band and orchestra. As long as I have interesting pieces to play and get the opportunity to perform that is all I care about.

My experience is that the orchestra seemed much more formal so that may suit certain types better than others.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll vote for a choice not on the poll...brass band. Advantage? No strings or woodwinds to put up with. Disadvantage? The cornets usually have to play transcribed string and/or woodwind parts on any pieces that were originally written for an orchestra. :D

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think your signature quote offers a "clue" as to why it wasn't a choice. :lol:

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've had a couple of chances to hear the world's largest brass band at the Landesposaunentag in Ulm. I declined the chance to play because I wanted to listen. The Ulmer M√ľnster is huge, having the highest church tower in the world; the church bells are loud, and the Posaunenchor plays over the top of those.

[​IMG]

The sound in the video does not give justice to the visceral experience of a whole lot of db's created by real folk, amateurs in the truest sense, who mean what they play, who communicate their faith.

For me, it's not so much about instrumentation, it's about passion.

YouTube - Landesposaunentag 2010 in Ulm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  8. TrumpetDreamerBoy

TrumpetDreamerBoy New Friend

Mar 27, 2011
    Planet Earth
    If both were of equal skill I'd prefer to listen to I'd wind band, but since orchestras tend to have better players a listen to orchestras more. My school has both 2 orchestra and 3 wind bands, and I prefer wind band because I get to play more and the parts (for the brass & percussion players at least) are much more challenging and engaging.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I agree with Dale Proctor. I don't relish counting out at least 100 measures of rest to then only play two percussive notes, as is quite common in orchestral arrangements. In wind band I get to play almost continuously.

OLDLOU>>