orchestral cds

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by adohanian, Mar 22, 2005.

1. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    Hi Manny, my question is sparked by the principal trumpet thread, and it concerns the editing that goes into orchestral recordings. I've heard a lot of people say that recordings make everyone sound the same. Personally I don't buy this opinion. I would not confuse a recording for a live concert, but I don't see how an orchestra can really sound totally different because of even severe editing. I am curious about your stance on this. When you listen to a recording you perform on, do you usually feel it's a fair representation of your playing and your orchestra's playing, or do listen and say "who is that?" thanks for your time.

adam

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hi, Adam,

Wow, what a question.

The fact is that most of us in the Minnesota brass section feel like we've been poorly represented by most of our recordings until recently with the BIS recordings we've made of the Beethoven symphonies. With Reference we had no mics, nor did we with Virgin. With EMI we were over miced. BIS seems to have gotten it right.

There are, however a few CDs that I like. Try to pick up some of these:

Bernstein w/ Eiji Oue
    Copland 3rd " "
    Respighi Tone Poems " "

Beethoven 4+5 w/ Osmo Vanska

That's a sampling of some that are fun to listen to and weren't too painful to record!

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Manny, You didn't have a mic on that Alpine Recording? :-o

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    He clearly didn't need one!

"Teats on a bull" or something like that....

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nope.

ML

6. JDWildcat

JDWildcat New Friend

Feb 19, 2004
    I have the Bernstein CD. It's great!

7. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    thanks for your reply manny, and your honesty. i'll check those recordings out when i get a chance

adam

8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have the Respighi CD, absolutely spectacular! I also have the Strauss CD by Reference with Ein Heldenleben and I like it a lot, I certainly don't feel that the brass section didn't receive any justice by not having a mic, it's actually one of the more brass heavy (which I totall dig) Ein Heldenleben recordings I've heard, really great stuff.

9. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    the Copland CD is fantastic. The choralish section in Appalachian spring is just gorgeous. It inspires me on a very regular basis.