Orchestral Cornet

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by laurie, Jan 20, 2005.

1. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday
    I know that some orchestral works are scored for cornet, Do these parts still get played on cornet or do orchestral players do them on trumpet?. Just Curious............
    Laurie

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    It seems like most of the "majors" here in the US use cornets when they're called for. I think that maybe 15-20 years ago, you wouldn't see it as often, but now it seems like everyone does it. Bottom line is that most American trumpet players would never turn down the chance for doubling pay! $$$$$ :D

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Robert,

This one has.

Several years ago the question came up getting doubling for cornets and I said, "No", flatly. I couldn't in good conscience ask for that. I know that some orchestras ask for doubling on rotaries. I don't buy into that either. I think the doubling thing has gone way out of hand. It was something that was developed for the woodwind doublers. I mean the REAL ones who, in the course of a show will play sax, flute, and clarinet. Now, THAT'S doubling, to my way of thinking.

Oh, I know some guys will argue, "Well, a flugel and cornet and rotary and piccolo require different mouthpieces and I have to put in so many more hours practicing those horns in addition to my regular axe... and then I actually have to go out and BUY those!"

Yeah, right.

Nah.. I just couldn't do it. There's a flugel doubling that was in place before I got here so we get it for flugels but usually I forget to put in for it so I rarely get it anyway!

A trumpet is a trumpet is a trumpet. An orchestral pro should be practicing regular C, Bb, piccolo, and rotary without being asked to anyway.

Bottom line? I think it's almost an insult to the woodwind doublers to call what we do doubling.

(By the way, Robert, I know you were speaking tongue-in-cheek and I just used your post to rant about a pet peeve regarding major orchestras that already make huge bucks as opposed to orchestras with smaller budgets where a player has to be creative to make a little more bread.)

ML