Orchestral Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MitchSiviter, May 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew any easy way of transposing in general. The keys I need to mainly concentrate on C, F and A. I'm just mainly looking for an easy way of transposing. Thanks.

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I think it is intimately involved with the development of your ear and the 10,000 hours one needs to practice in order to know if one can really become good. That is, no easy route.

3. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    There is no short cut really, just practice, practice and more practice. There are tricks like changing clefs, but then you need to practice reading those clefs. catch 22.

4. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    For me, the biggest trick was to try 1000+ different ways to find the one trick that worked best for me...... at which point I realized that I've practiced transposing 1000+ times, and I could just do it.
    Pick a couple of ARBANS scale studies. Your ear, and fingers already know how these work, and when you start in a new key, you will quickly get the hang of it.
    Good luck.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Assuming you are playing the Bb trumpet, Add seven flats for trumpet in A, add two sharps and read up a step for C. For F trumpet, add one sharp and read up a fifth. Sometimes writing out the parts can help in learning the transpositions; eventually you'll get to the point where it is easier to read the music than write it out.

Have fun, and don't mind the fact transposing can make your head hurt. That is normal.

6. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    Thanks for your help guys!

7. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    Thank you so much!!

8. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    You could scan the music into Finale, transpose it to the key of choice, and then print it.
    That's the easiest way I know of.
    I've never done it that way, but I know it's possible.

9. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Or how about having a horn in each key, and getting the violas to hand the one you need for each piece to you at the right moment?

ROFL

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Learn to sight sing music.
    Learn your scales well enough to be able to play melodies by ear.
    Read the music, but start on whatever note the transposition dictates.
    Trust your ears.