Orchestral Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MitchSiviter, May 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As of 2 weeks ago, I now have Finale 2012 and it is possible ... but not very probable unless you've an oversize scanner and that the scanner driver program is compatible. Another way is to copy the music into a Finale.mus file. I'm going to assume you've C music that you may want to transpose to F for a French horn or into A for your piccolo trumpet and I'll advise you that sometimes it works well and other times it does not and such is just musically and has nothing to do with the computer program.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    With age and health issues, I no longer trust my hearing.

3. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    My teacher suggested transposing "as if" playing the "C" trumpet whether you are practicing on the B flat or the C trumpet.. In other words: if written for "C" trumpet, play as written. If written for "D" trumpet, raise the notes a whole step and add two sharps, etc. This simplifies things a bit when playing C trumpet in the orchestra as you don't have to transpose any differently how you practiced on B-flat trumpet. Obviously, transposing "as if" playing a C trumpet (on the B flat trumpet) is only to be done in the practice room as it would put you off a whole step when playing with others!

I've heard other students of Vacchiano suggest this approach also.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, transposing from C to Bb is simplest thought of as 2 semi-tones ( 1 whole step) higher with added 2 sharps. If flats exist on the C music, sharps will negate them 1 for 1. As example, in concert key (C music) of B flat, there 2 flats, thus on Bb trumpet one will have no sharps or flats. I sight read this transposition.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Scanning and transposing is a mortal sin, except for wimps.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Just take your time start practicing transposition and keep doing it. In time you will learn it. Some transpositions you will find are easier than others, but just keep on doing it.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry. Even for wimps.

8. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    I'm getting there. Its just taking sometime... haha

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With every attempt the time involved will reduce itself until you can transpose at sight. Then you can transpose and scope out cute girls in the orchestra at the same time. Multi-tasking at its finest.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Get some melodies in an easy range and use them as transposition exercises. This is also a great way to get used to different key trumpets.