Ordering new valves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joshua712, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Joshua712

Joshua712 Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    Is it possible to buy replacement valves for a Bach Stradivarius 37 trumpet? Been having some serious issues with sticking valves lately. There's no dent...have never dropped the horn. It's not a lack of oil, maintenance, etc. anyone have any ideas? Or where to order replacement valves?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I may be wrong, but worn valves usually don't start sticking. They end up with too much space, not more contact. At least that is what I would think, maybe a tech can confirm or correct me. Think you might want to let a tech look at it for a diagnosis, before going the new valve route. In fact, very few people buy new valves. They get their current ones replated. That would be far cheaper than trying to buy and fit new ones.

One more suggestion before going to a tech. Clean the valve casing and valves very, very well. Use Dawn detergent. Rinse super well. Use a lint free cloth and also clean/dry.

3. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    What he said!

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Hetmans 3! Get some and be happy! Made my 48 with trashed valves very smooth (3 drops per valve and a more proper finger technique) For $10 you can't miss, it's wortha try before buying new valves

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks you have been wasting oil by applying it to valves that are still wet. Worse, such carelessness on your part does induce excessive valve wear vis no lubricant is reaching the valves. The oil lays on top of water and residual soap and is not being applied to either casing or valves. Be extremely thorough on removing all moisture from valve ports as well.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, Ed makes a great point. Be sure after thoroughly washing and cleaning them and the valve casing to completely dry them and the valve casing. Then add the valve oil. Remember your chemistry. Oil and water do not mix, so remove all water before oiling.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes it is possible to order new valves although it is unlikely that you need them. Let someone skilled in the art inspect your trumpet and determine the appropriate remedy.

Valve problems are caused by dirt, damage, or distortion. Very likely you have a buildup in the casings which can only be removed safely by a qualified tech.