Original Getzen Severson......

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by B, Mar 11, 2004.

1. B

B New Friend

Jan 19, 2004
    Northshore of Boston
    What are your thoughts ? Wart are they worth ?

2. ThePlanets9

ThePlanets9 New Friend

Jan 14, 2004
    KY
    I have one - it is an awesome horn. 8) Very open and full, great for jazz!

3. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I have one - I think they usually sell for $400-$650 on ebay depending on the condition...

look for one with traditional water keys...

I think the Getzen 900 classic is basically the same horn. They offer it with a fixed third vavle slide now too (you can thank me later if you get one)

-marc

4. B

B New Friend

Jan 19, 2004
    Northshore of Boston
    I have one that was reconditioned about 10 years ago by Osmun. The only problem I have is the tuning side gets a bit of corrosion . I love the horn I lot ,I am the third owner . The previous owners were my older brother and my first trumpet teacher. I am currently deciding on a more symphonic horn / ballards and get rid of the Bach. I guess I just wanted to get some confirmation on keeping it.

thanks

B

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Is there a big difference between the old Getzen Severinsons and the new ones? I've test played a new Getzen Severinson and it seemed a little stuffy. Well, I was kinda sick the day I test played it anyways.

6. camel lips

camel lips New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    Ive been told that the new ones play tight and bright.

Most people seem to like the 900s over the sev.

7. Gregg Davies

Gregg Davies New Friend

Mar 14, 2005
    Gibraltar, Michigan
    I just picked up a 900, and it plays the same if not better than the Severinsen I played in H.S. (1977), very bright and lively :D

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    If by new Severinsen, you mean the 3001, I thought there was some resistance, nothing major, and a tone that would peel paint without even trying.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I recently acquired a 1981 Getzen Severinson for a Frankenhorn project.

I almost feel bad for having to tear this beauty apart! The sound is rich, and is extremely enjoyable to play! I have been using this horn in band every day since I got it a month ago, and even used it for my Spring recital! The valves are Getzen, alright. Fast and smooth.

I havent tried the new model Severinsons, and have yet to actually play a new Getzen I enjoy, truthfully.

Van

10. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    If I were looking for a second lead or outdoor horn, I'd look for a used Getzen SEverinson. I wouldn't use one for all settings, though. To me they're just a bit too bright or edgy.

The new Severinsons are a bit different. They seem more open, but they're still a tad on the crisp side.

Personally, I'm not fond of either the new or old model Severinson. I don't think Getzen officially uses the Severinson name anymore, either. But for the money, I'd rather have their custom series horns, which slot wonderfully, can still sizzle, and don't really cost that much more.

Or you could go cheaper and get the 900s or 900sb Eternas. I'd probably agree with the poster who intoned that the 900 classic is most similar to the old Severinson models.

I think the old severinsons vary quite a bit depending on the condition, but I wouldn't pay more than about $600 for one in excellent condition, and I'd probably try to keep it under $450 or so. Consider that the 700s (intermediate but very GOOD intermediate) can be had brand new for around $500-600 discounted and the 900s for probably about $800-$900 discounted -- and then you're dealing with a brand new instrument.