Other side of the mountain...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 17, 2007.

1. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Hey Manny,

I was reading your post in the "weakness is my friend" thread and you mentioned that you used to play "tight gut" (that's what I'll call it just to give it a name for this post...) until about your thirties. I was just wondering a little about your past and when did the Manny that we hear now come about? Obviously this was a gradual process... I'm not asking for specifics. But I notice you mention your studies with Jacobs being a significant part of your education, when was that in your career? Could you walk us through your development a little? Any insight appreciated as always. Thanks.

Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matt,

I've actually written about this before but I'll synthesize it for you.

I was having trouble with endurance issues and a nasty double buzz when I called Arnold and he knew over the phone what was the matter with me after I described the problems. I didn't realize the bad habits I had until I started playing Dave's horns. Since they're more stable and less pliable than what I had been playing, my faults were more apparent, magnified.

Arnold had me come out to Chicago and adjusted the way that I used my breath to what I described in the other post and within 20 minutes all the problems were gone. I'm not kidding... 20 flipping minutes. He made me from a merely strong player to a smart one, more efficient. When I learned to play this way I felt much less activity at the lips; everything there was calmer.

Afterwards, we became friends and I would go maybe once a year to tune up and work on specific things about which I had questions. We had several talks about pedagogy over the phone and he helped my teaching tremendously. Any students that I've been able to help since the late 80's were a direct result of some of the physical things I learned from Arnold.

So, I'm the musician that Vacchiano taught me to be but my teaching method changed pretty drastically after working with Arnold. Dave Monette sort of put the icing on the cake by addressing body use with me and spurring my interest regarding all that stuff. These are the gentlemen that shaped the player I am today. It's awkward talking like this but I hope you understand it in the spirit of answering your question.

ML

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Manny,

Your post reminded me of your interview in the back of the Jacobs book with Luis Loubriel. I can't tell you how helpful that book is, especially that interview.

Thanks,
    Jimi

4. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Manny,

Thanks. I totally understand that it was a "loaded" question and didn't mean to put you on the spot. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Matt