Other Than Mendez

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ponce, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ponce

ponce New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    New York
    Hi Manny-

In a recent post you informed us that when you first went to Vacchiano as a student, you told him you wanted to play like Rafael Mendez, and that he quickly disabused you of this notion. Let's say you found yourself in a similar situation. You required tutelage, and sought the counsel of a respected pedagog. Using the standards of today and all the knowledge and hindsight you have amassed over the past thirty years, what player, if asked by your teacher, would you most want to emulate? Remove yourself from the equation, as I am certain that modesty precludes you from answering: "why...ME of course!"

There are two ways you could answer - the responsible way, with an eye toward giving the MO the best of all possible principal players, and the ego-based way with no regard for your current position, but just because it would be awesome to sound like this player. I am curious if player #2 would still be Mendez?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Without regard to my position the answer has to be Maurice Andre, without question. I find him to be the most complete trumpeter I've ever heard but part of that is because I've heard him in situations most of the public hasn't.

His articulation is the most versatile of any trumpeter I've ever heard and his endurance and high register are legendary. His sound is also very inspiring and exciting to hear. Yes, for me Maurice has it all... and he's a wonderful, generous person. Number two would have to be Maynard Ferguson. What can I say? The guy made me want to to play the trumpet as well as I could and in as relaxed a way as I could.

So, there you have it.

ML

3. spirithorn

spirithorn New Friend

Mar 3, 2005
    North Carolina
    If I'm not mistaken, Bud Herseth also thought VERY highly of both Maurice Andre and Maynard. I read in an interview once where Bud considered Maynard to be perhaps the greatest brass player of the 20th century. That's a fairly high opinion!

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, you're right! It's in that old Instrumentalist interview with Bud, "Man alive, what a kick this is!". I also remember the surprise of the interviewer that Bud pronounced Maynard the greatest brass player not jazz trumpet player. Bud was firm in his opinion. The people that grew up hearing Maynard throughout his career, not just the last ten years, remember a Maynard that played ALL over the horn, ALL night long. The old records of him are simply amazing. His jazz improv lines in the upper register were stunning and what set him apart from most other high note experts. They were musical!

ML

5. spirithorn

spirithorn New Friend

Mar 3, 2005
    North Carolina
    Musical indeed! And with a SOUND the likes of which had not been heard before (and maybe since, at least in that context).

6. mhilton

mhilton New Friend

Mar 11, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    The recording from the 1950's of Maynard with the New York Philharmonic doing "Titans" by William Russo is unbelievable. It's amazing to hear his sound in front of a classical ensemble. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't heard it.

Matt

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Mhilton,

There's a quick story from the king of one-liners, William Vacchiano, about that commision and subsequent rehearsals/performances.

Apparently, only a few players in the Philharmonic were aware of just who this Maynard Ferguson fellow was. Of course, all the brass players knew of him and some had his records. At one point in the rehearsal after MF had pasted some ridiculously high note over the back walls of Carnegie, some fiddle player called out to Vacchiano, "Hey, Bill... waddya think of that?!"

As all eyes turned to Vacchiano he said in his famous Downeaster accent, "Well, if he ever loses his lip he can always become first trumpet of the New York Philharmonic!".

ML

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hi Manny, I have been trying to get this question answered for some time. I realise they are up in years but what are Maurice Andre and Timofei Dokshiszer(sp) doing now adays? These are two trumpeter are highly admire? :dontknow:

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dokshitzer is living in Lithuania and doing mostly teaching although he still plays publicly and Maurice is still playing a goodly amount although he stopped touring here years ago. Maurice loves playing trumpet and organ gigs. Of course if either one of them loses his lip he can become the first trumpet of the Minnesota Orchestra.

ML

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Here's a review of a concert Andre played a few years back..

Not a favourable review mind..

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/concerts/con023.asp