OUCH and an apology

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi Gang sorry for being absent for a few weeks. I've seen really busy with the junior ensemble I run, we are going from an ad hoc group to a committee led group both the allow us to apply for funding and to take some of the pressure of decision making off me.

I could also use some GP type advice. I've got tennis elbow and it hurts like *****ery to hold my piston trumpet. The rotary is more comfortable, any ideas would be welcome

Cheers

Andrew

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Hi Andy,

a few ideas to help you with your elbow:
    1) Get yourself some Chinese Tiger Balm and apply that three times daily to your elbow.
    2) Look out for a good orthobionomy therapist - it's a low-impact manual therapy that can work wonders.
    3) Try out an ErgoBrass support.
    4) Get yourself an epicondylitis brace for your elbow - that thing will hold the inflamed sinews in place without hindering movement. Size is important, so have someone at your pharmacy fit it to your arm.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Oh yes, and let someone else do the conducting for a few days... (when do you think it's a good time for me to come over and help you, as planned last year?)

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Andy, bend your arm. Place the thumb of your other hand on the spot that is sore. Press really hard and slowly straighten the arm and bend again. Repeat several times. Do not release the pressure. It should hurt enough to make your eyes water. Relax for a couple of minutes then place your thumb back on the spot with your arm straight. Press really hard and rotate the forearm slowly. This will cure tennis elbow. May take a couple of 15 minute sessions. If it doesn't you are not doing it correctly, so find a Sports Massage Therapist that has trained at the London School of Sports Massage and they will fix you.

5. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Do that. Plus add cross fiber friction rub to it and you have the complete treatment. https://www.realbodywork.com/articles/crossfiber.html

6. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Andy,

Glad to see you back. The suggestions you've gotten are dead on......I used to play competitive tennis. What we/you need to address is the cause. What happened, how long it took, and your physical condition prior to. Let us know.

Regards,
    Rick

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh great Andy, you could take this advice from an individual getting their degree from the Maarquis de Sade School of Medicine or rather listen to a true humanitarian that carries their doggies in a bag. This is an overuse injury and in so knowing the rehabilitation plan is focused on the inflammation of the elbow that was caused by over using it. So:

1. Avoid any activity that causes pain; remember pain is our friend and is Mother Nature’s way of saying, “Enough is enough already!” Additionally, decreasing the activity in which the elbow and wrist is generally used is preferred over absolute rest and complete inactivity.

2. Anti-inflammatory drugs are used by many but why treat the whole body when we can focus the relief of inflammation locally with ice. Cold stops the inflammatory cells from coming into the area, which is a better mechanism than any oral medication can do. So use an ice massage. Take a paper cup, fill it with water, then place it in the freezer. Once it is frozen solid, peel off a quarter inch of the paper from the top of the cup, then us it to massage the painful area around the joint. Do this until the pain goes away or for 20 minutes whichever comes first. This can be done twice a day.

3. Then after a couple of weeks where the pain of tennis elbow has been reduced or eliminated, begin working the tendons and muscles that were strained by the overuse activity. So at this point we are ready for increasing the circulation to the area while decreasing the tightness of the muscles. Therefore, stretching and strengthening exercises are frequently helpful. To do this, support the forearm on a flat surface with the wrist and hand free. Hold a 1 to 2 pound weight in the hand. Keeping the palm down, slowly extend the wrist. Bring it backward, or up, and then bend it forward, or down. The muscles on the top of the forearm should contract when the wrist is moved upward and stretch when the hand is moved downward. To balance the forearm muscles, these exercises should be repeated with the palm facing up. Each exercise should be repeated 10 times slowly. A loop of rubber tubing, with one end attached to a table leg or held on the floor with a foot, can be used to provide resistance instead of the weight. This will also increase circulation to the area. A snug, but not tight, strap worn around the top of the forearm often decreases the pull of the muscles on the lateral epicondyle and lessens pain. When symptoms are present during everyday activities, the band should be worn. After this exercise, go back to icing down the tendons and muscles of the elbow to keep those bad boy inflammatory mediators from coming back to the newly stimulated, exercised area.

4. Finally, during the nearly 6 week rehab period required for muscle and tendon to mend, ware a snug, but not tight, strap around the top of the forearm as this will decrease muscles pulling at the tendon insertion on the bone as well as lessens pain. Wear this especially when symptoms are present during everyday activities, but for the most benefit, consider using the band during all waking hours. Occasionally, as recommended above, an elbow sleeve with a pad specially designed to put gentle pressure over the forearm muscles can be used. The sleeve has the advantage of not only changing the pull of the muscles, but keeping them warm as well, which increases their flexibility and circulation.

There you have it, total rehab without the need to visit your physician. For you, this service is free, but an expression of gratitude by sending me one of your fabulous paintings (I would spring for the shipping fees) would be truly accepted with honor.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Another approach is to hold the horn with your right hand and finger with the left. Not only is this good for coupling the two brain hemispheres, but the use of your left fingers will help alleviate your tennis elbow.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    we have HORSE LINIMENT here stateside --- I am not sure it helps, but it sure does smell funny, and it attracts all those women who love horses -------------- ooops, sorry Andy, that advice didnt' help ----- but it reminded me of why I use the Horse Liniment, I also use a product called "Bag Balm" which is useful for softening skin (and traditionally used on cows udders to prevent chapping)-- it works well to prevent your lips from chapping too ----------------------------------- and my Veterinarian said at one point she couldn't write me a prescription for "amoxicillin" for a 200 pound cat, because someone might notice the error --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In the U.S. the forearm strap that Dr. Onady, MD suggests in his #4 are available in many pharmacies. In recent recovery from left shoulder rotator cup surgery I rigged suspension of my trumpet from a sturdy bird cage support (Now with a pet cat, we've not a bird, it's cage sold at our moving sale, but the support didn't as it is heavy). Such is ideal also to prevent excessive left elbow mouthpiece pressure as a trainer.

For instrumental conducting, I seldom use my left hand, but for vocal I do.