Out of BMT and I need some help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Evrye77, May 2, 2014.

1. Evrye77

Evrye77 New Friend

May 2, 2014
    Hello,
    My name is Evan and I completed BMT and all my schooling for my military job about a year ago. I had my parents send me my trumpet from home but I no longer have, Valve Oil, Cleaning Kit, Music, or an idea what I should do to get back into playing. I would appreciate any advice people could give, as well as a good online store I can buy those items from.

Thank you for all you help.
    Evan

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Where are you stationed?

Tom

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Check out Guitar Center--they have rudimentary trumpet supplies, and they're almost everywhere.--including on-line. They're part of a large company that also includes Musician's Friend and The Woodwind and The Brasswind (wwbw.com) Also check out Special Services, or whatever they are calling it these days--they used to provide both horns and supplies. (45 years ago) Is there a post band? It might be a good idea to make friends with some of them. There are a lot of Music Minus 1 type options on-line. I like Jazzbacks, but you need to know the song or get a fake book.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I usually get supplied from wwbw.com.

As far as info on getting back into playing, I would search "comeback player" on this forum and trumpetherald.com.

5. Evrye77

Evrye77 New Friend

May 2, 2014
    thank you all for your help. And Tom I'm stationed in Utah atm

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I like two houses: Dillion Music out east somewhere, and my own Cascio Interstate Music. What horn are you playing, and do you have any preferences? I would be happy to make you up a shopping list. Ask around on base for suggestions to go to the fabric store. Bring a rifle patch and ask the nice lady for a yard of same. Use lighter fluid to clean valves and casings. For cleaning rod, a plastic flute rod is best.

Dillon Music

Tom

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In Utah you have quite a few music stores. I do recommend getting to know them. We do need professional help every once in a while and it is nice to have a network set up for emergencies. This should get you started. I am not from Utah, but Google is my best friend..........:

Sommerhays
    5420 S Green St
    Murray, UT
    +1 801-268-4446

Riverton
    4650 S 3740 W
    West Valley City, UT
    +1 801-969-4358

Barnes and Noble
    6 N Rio Grande St
    Salt Lake City, UT
    +1 801-456-0100

Bert Murdock
    981 North 1200 West
    Orem, UT 84057
    +1 801-225-7922

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Uh, out east somewhere? I can help with that. Woodbridge, NJ. They are excellent. About 30 minutes outside NYC.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm happy to help you and give any military member (active or retired) a 25% discount on all accessories.

Best regards,
    T

10. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    I was in the military for twelve years (USAF). My horn came with me everywhere I was stationed. All but one small remote site had a community band on base. Furthermore, I played taps for the local VFWs. The local MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) usually have a few soundproofed practice spaces for musicians on base. Ask around and you will find others to play and practice with.

Welcome to the Air Force. The single most important thing that I did for myself was joining the military.