Out of Brass Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I may have relegated myself to the sub list for the brass band I play(ed) in. The call came out for the first fall concert and the selections are pure junk in my opinion. I told the personnel manager as much and said I wouldn't be playing this concert. That may or may not result in my spot being permanently filled by someone who won't complain, but at this point, I suppose I don't really care. I don't feel like wasting the time and effort required to rehearse and perform the likes of "Superman", Indiana Jones", and a bunch of other movie themes. This trend for the band playing fluff has been going on for a few years and I suppose I've had enough. Rant over...:lol:

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Yeah when I was in the brass band we played Superman a lot. And a Motown medley.

3. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have better things to do than play that junk.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are in this business for us. Our playing feeds our souls. Going home from a band rehearsal wondering why you were even there is a sure sign that something needs to happen. I threw the towel in with a community band where I was assistant conductor and first trumpet two years ago. The new conductor and his programming simply did not do anything for me. The bands playing made my toenails curl........

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Wait, was it the film version or the Chase/Ferguson version? Cos the latter is mildly entertaining...

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, Robin, that's the gist of it. When you dread going to rehearsals and can think of 100 other things you'd rather be doing, it obviously isn't fun any more. I enjoy the folks in the band (some of them good friends I've known for many years), but not the musical selections. I'm gravitating toward investigating some local dance/big band opportunities, since I really used to enjoy that.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When one opportunity goes, the next one opens - for the prepared!

I always went to rehearsals hopeful that something would turn around, and went home frustrated. 6 months was enough. The conductor got a fair chance. When he goes (and he will....), I'll take a second look. My students took my chair, that's pretty cool.

Good luck!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dale, I've also had some experiences recently where I've declined to continue on or take the steps necessary to be a part of an ensemble where I'm just not quite feeling it. It's liberating when you come to a point in your musical life where you decide that it's just not worth the effort. Good on you for having the courage of your convictions and not subjecting yourself the inevitable frustration and lack of fulfillment that this band would likely represent.

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Sorry to hear it, but I certainly know just how you feel. I'm pretty much a non-player these days for similar reasons. Let us ask for divine guidance:

What Would Sousa Do? T Shirts | Zazzle

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Dale, I understand your thoughts about this.
    Since 1999, I played in a very good (for a community band) community band in the NW suburbs of Chicago. For the last 5 or so years, I sat principal. The band was very progressive in what we played and there were (and still are) some folks who play extremely well.
    The big issue I had with this band was it plays very loud. Pianos are fortes and fortes are blastissimo. Amateurs cannot play softly and since many were complete amateurs, the section leaders had play much louder than necessary. Plus, we played very advanced and difficult arrangements of some of the all time great classics that had never been arranged for bands. (Suffice it to say, there were no royalties paid).
    I had a standing request to be a soloist, which is something I don't like, but did so once in a while.
    In November 2013, during a particularly loud rehearsal, I felt a sharp burn in my lower lip. The burning turned out to be deep tissue bruising and a very irritated nerve. It wasn't from too much pressure, it was from overwork. Despite the damage, I very carefully continued through the "regular" season and the summer weekly concert season, which were always tough with a 40 minute touch up rehearsal after the hour long outdoors concert for the next week's concert.
    At the end of the summer season, I took stock of the damage and decided enough was enough and quit. It wasn't fun anymore and constant twinges in my lower lip let me know playing at the volume I had to was only going keep the lip from healing. It has, but I still have lingering doubts about re-injuring it.
    If it isn't fun, quit. For me, it wasn't.
    You will find something fun to do.
    Rich T.