Out of Brass Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Dude, a mediocre violin starts at about $25,000.

And a good bassoon starts at about $35,000.

They ain't taking their good instruments outdoors anywhere in England at any time of year.

Maybe in the deserts of Australia, on a cool night. MAYBE.

Even Southern California, at the Hollywood Bowl, is too humid most of the year to dare bring a really nice instrument [especially at night - and I wouldn't want Southern California UV radiation burning through on a really nice instrument during the middle of a summer afternoon].

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    No, that is not correct. I have spoken to the violinists at my orchestra, one of whom is a pro who also teaches my son, and also to two others who are high quality luthiers. They have confirmed that really good violins can be had for 1/10 to 1/5 of that. Mediocre ones start at $250 and even then there are some surprises. Better ones again would be in the $10,000+ (and ++++!) bracket but mediocre starts way lower than $25000.

--bumblebee

3. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Okay, the, ah, folks who can't be reasoned with are invading this thread.

That's where I bow out - I simply have to grow up and quit banging my head against that wall.

Final Word: It's all about the ARRANGEMENTS!!! Crap music can sound pretty darned good in the hands of a great arranger, and heavenly music can sound like crap in the hands of a lousy arranger.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    By folks that can't be reasoned with, you mean people who possess a different opinion than you? Just checking.
    I agree with you, by the way, but I guess you "bowed out" so I'm talking to the wall, here.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ...such delicate irony ;-)

6. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    People who think that serious professional musicians take their good instruments outdoors, or people who think that a mediocre violin can be had for $250.

I can't have a conversation with people like that.

It's a complete waste of time.

I gotta go.

FOCUS ON THE QUALITY OF THE ARRANGEMENTS!!!!!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tar Dad,
    yes, they do take their expensive instruments out. It is not a problem. This is not conjecture, I play with groups doing this. It is the rule, not the exception. You can assume things but that does not make them true. It is sometimes helpful to listen to those actually doing something.

No one disagrees, a crap arrangement is a crap arrangement. That has not changed since mankind started making music. Even today there are many great arrangements being written. Whether or not a music director makes the effort to stay informed or program progressively is another issue.

Generalities are a waste of time. Please be more specific.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Music Director of the orchestra I play in for many years cellist with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra plays a 18th century instrument valued at over $500,000. plays it outside in the Australian summer, will not play it in the rain. It is a worry for me when he asks me to bring it home from music camp and store it for a couple of weeks.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Now Stuart,
    Remember to keep the fire wood on the left side of the Fireplace....

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tar-Dad needs to start qualifying some things. His posting sounds like he has little exposure to professional players.

In any case, this time of year there are plenty of open air concerts from opera and operetta to light classics, to film music to pop charts and all of the pros that I work with have their normal concert instruments with them.