Out of Brass Band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dale Proctor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Gino

Gino New Friend

Jul 31, 2015
    Staffordshire
    Making music is what counts to me. I have just come back from 15yrs paternity leave into brass banding and am loving every minute I have my Flugel in hand. I don't really care what we are playing nor what those around me are doing, I just try and concentrate on everything I am doing and try and do it better than last time.

Personally, I love the playing variety in our band. We have some great players, some budding players and some who will never improve as they don't put the time in, but they are all great characters who come along to be part of an institution that stretches back nearly 200 years and take pride in being able to carry on such a fantastic tradition.

Sitting in a bandstand on a sunny Sunday afternoon is the ultimate for me. Whether we play Sousa, Rossini, Peter Graham or Harry Potter, I am quite happy and yes, we sometimes play too loud as it is hard to play confidently and quietly, but I maintain my volume as written and wait for the the conductor to quieten the over blowers - we get there in the end.

I agree it's all about how you feel. I love it, it makes me buzz and for that I am very grateful.

I hope you all find your own personal satisfaction, however you decide to make music...

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    that the heck's a "15yrs paternity leave"?

3. Gino

Gino New Friend

Jul 31, 2015
    Staffordshire
    When my baby girl was born, I couldn't commit the time I felt I needed to banding, so gave up my seat. Just gone back to it, now she prefers playing more with her boyfriend than me :-)

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Something which sounds pretty amazing I think, depending on what the leave was from.

--bumblebee

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I don't know if Tarh33l's serious? I play all my horns outside, from the '21 2B to the '46 Strad' to the AMI flügel.
    "You're not allowed to have an opinion if it hurts somebody's feelings."
    -anonymous

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    You'd BETTER be playing that '46 Strad everywhere.
    Well, everywhere a dark horn is appropriate.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If I might also add, it is called having your priorities in order, kids first, then our own indulgences come last. Not many examples of that to show, but there have been some. Cheers to you.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I had taken a 15 year break from playing, I'd probably be happy to play anything with any group. I did take a 7 year break a long time ago and was happy to play in the community band for a few comeback years. I wouldn't want to do that now, though. A few gigs have just popped up for the civil war band, so that's a plus. Same old music, but it pays well...ha ha

9. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I am ok with just about anything except renditions involving "CATS". I hit my life quote on playing that crap years ago.

10. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    The brass band I was in played a combination of Movie themes/fluff with really good BBB music. It was fun.