Out of sheer curiosity...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Mar 4, 2005.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, my students are busy working on the CASTLE (Capacitor Aided System for Teaching and Learning Electricity) labs, so I'm sitting here for a couple of minutes, and this query popped into my my head.

Is anyone here, besides me, using Asymetric Mouthpieces by John Lynch?

Frankly, I'm just flat out curious!

Thanks!

Nick

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Nick,

I own a full set and gave them a thorough trial a few years ago, using them exclusively for three or four months. While I didn't gain much in the way of range, my endurance improved. However, I ended up switching back to boring old "radially symmetric" mouthpieces.

I think there's too much difference between the Lead and 3C+544 models. The Lead model offers the "brutal" tone quality as advertised, but the 3C+544 is not really equivalent to a Bach 3C, tonewise -- it's quite dark. I wanted something between the two, with the bottom rim shape of the Lead model which I much prefer.

The lack of cornet and flugelhorn models is a downside, though one that can be overcome by having Asymmetric tops threaded for Warburton backbores. I didn't want to spend the bucks for that though, because the lineup is too limited. If John Lynch offered four cup depths with the Lead rim in a standard-weight blank, as well as deep cornet and flugelhorn models, I'd probably switch back.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    eh, I tried 'em but I just couldn't get into them... I have the lead model still sittin' in my mpc drawer if anyone is interested. PM me. lol. Take care and God Bless.