Out of the kindness of someone's heart

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 7, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    just wondering if anyone living in the houston area would be nice enough to let me use an Eb trumpet?
    Im just asking because it would be great if i can play my solo on the type of trumpet it was made for so i can get the type of sound im looking for

so if anyone is kind enough and near enough then please send me some contact info :D:D:D:D:D

i know this is probably a useless thread but i really need a Eb trumpet and no one i know has or is willing to lend it to me for my solo

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    You don't 'need' an Eb.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry Dan

You would have been welcome to borrow mine but Huston is a heck of a clip from East Yorkshire. Out of interest what are you needing one for. I know the above posters have said you don't need one and to a point I do agree but maybe you could pad out why you are after one. Is it because that dreaded band director of yours wants you to have one, because you want to play the Haydn on it etc. I know common wisdom says you can play the haydn (or hummel etc) on a Bb and that an Eb doesn't help your range for the top notes, but i just find it more fun on the Eb. The perception that you are playing lower cos the notes are lower on the stave (I think) tricks your mind into thinking it is easier.

4. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    It is because of the haydn and i know it doesnt help your range but my band director says that it's best if played on a Eb for certain sound reasons. Plus she said it would probably help if i play the song on Eb for my college audition.

so yea i dont "need it" as in im gonna die without it but it would be greatly satisfying

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I hope you have experience on an Eb ... I wouldn't consider playing an audition on an unfamiliar instrument.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Haydn was performed on a Bb trumpet for years and as is known, if you cannot play it on a Bb, you aren't going to do any better on an Eb. (That is not directed at you).
    Keep in mind that the great Eb trumpets from Schilke, Yamaha, and the other high quality makers are very expensive and are not anywhere near as common as Bbs. I have a Getzen 300 Eb/D that is really very, very difficult to play in tune and while it has a generally nice sound, it has some odd notes that don't "sound" like the others. It is a cheap horn with a very bad bell. (Great valves, though). I wouldn't dream of playing the Haydn or Hummel on it. Fighting that horn would wear me out faster than the concertos would.
    Tell your teacher if it is desired you play it on an Eb, to get one for you.
    Rich T.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    A friend of mine has Bach Eb, the intonation is horrible, last I heard he shipped it to somebody to beef it up. I'll see if it is back and if you can borrow it. I should know soon.

8. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    thank you :D

9. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    You could just play it on your Bb, or if you really want one, you can ask at your local music store if they can sponsor or borrow you one, for some advertising, we've done that a lot, I now have everything I neer though.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For years German orchestras, at their auditions demanded the Haydn be played on a Bb rotary. It is one real quick way for the committee to determine if the player plays in a true orchestral style ('cuz everybody has heard it a zillion times) and the original was written for an Eb built an octave lower with keys. It isn't the piece for "light and bright," and I use my Eb darned seldom. Most times, the Eb parts in an orchestral setting work (and sound) just fine using C trumpets and Bb piccolos.

Have fun and goof around with an Eb if you have a chance, but I'd suggest you learn to play the heck out of the Haydn on your Bb.