Out of tune...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Today I was practicng and wanted to see if I was in tune. So I pulled out my Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-30 and began tuning. It turned I was out of tune, flat. So I push in the tuning slide a little, tried again and still, flat. So I ended up pushing the tuning slide all the way in! And still it read B or Bb when I played a low C! The tuner is at 440 Hz, which I think is normal. Every note I played seemed to be flat! My piano is even out of tune so I cant't depend on that!lol

My director told me last year, that sometimes the humidity can play a major role in being in or out of tune. My house is only around 60% humidity. My trumpet should always be at room temp., because I have it stand 24/7! I don't even think the tuner is reading Concert-wise, because when I push any key my piano it reads the note I played (But it reads it being either b or #). So I have no clue as to what to do next! In school it seemed to be fine, when I was in band class. I don't think it's my tuner, maybe my trumpet or the weather is affecting it!

So if anybody knows what's going on I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!,
    Bach219:play:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    For trumpet you need a "Pitch Finder" from the Chase Sanborn web site.
    I have the pitch finder and his book on tuning. The pitch finder can be set for trumpet, B flat, and will will read correctly.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Ummm...
    I'm not 100% sure, but if you're playing on a Bb trumpet, the note we read as "c" should be reading as a Bb on a tuner.
    Also, tuning is very relative, a note that is 10 cents off is not particularly noticeable (necessarily). I don't think its something is wrong, I think its just practice (the last answer anyone wants to hear)

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Piano is in concert pitch, so a C on the piano will read as a C on your tuner, but sound as a D on your (Bb) trumpet. Tune the third space C on your trumpet to the tuner (it will read a Bb). Then put the tuner away and play in tune. Duets with people who are better than you, ensembles, etc.

Stuart

5. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    So if I tune G, it'll say F on the tuner, right? Because it's concert pitch.

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Yes. On the Bb trumpet all written notes sound a whole step lower on the tuner. Written C is concert Bb, written Bb is Concert Ab. Has your band director never said play Bb scale and you play your C scale?
    Also the TR300 leadpipe is really short so you almost never push it in all the way. (unless it's REALLY cold.)

7. andrew_jordan

andrew_jordan Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    try another tuner and see if you still have the same problem. also, clean your horn. sometimes if crud gets built up in there, it may change the waveform of the vibration. waterkey leak? are you practicing in a mute? if so, are the corks shot?

"need input" - No. 5

Drew

8. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'll amplify what has already been said. I believe the Korg tuner reads concert pitch. Playing a "C" on your Bb trumpet should read Bb on the tuner.
    Chase's Pitch Finder can be adjusted to read concert pitch or Bb.

9. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    You guys are right! It is concert pitch! I mean usually when I use tuners it tells me the note I'm actually playing, not in concert pitch! I just got done practicing and tuned my trumpet, so everything is totally fine now!!!:thumbsup:

Oh yeah almost forgot, where do I get this pitch finder? I went on the website, but can't seem to find it!:dontknow:

Thank you all!
    Bach219

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008