Out of tune...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jul 7, 2008.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Also, bach219, while using a tuner is helpful, you should keep it to a minimum and rely as much as you can on your ear to judge if you're in tune or not. If you can establish with the tuner which notes on your horn are off (usually sharp, but not always) then you can listen for that when you play and adjust as you go. That's what the loop connected to the third valve slide is for (to correct sharpness). Flat notes you'll have to blow sharp. Have fun and hopefully a great trumpet career.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What he said!

The tuner is useful for finding one single note - the tuning note. It is in the way for every other note!

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Thank you guys! About 3 hrs ago I read this PDF on Tuning Tactics that I downloaded off of that Chase Sanborn website, with some other PDF's. Really interesting stuff!

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I just tried a tuner that came in a case with a horn I bought a while ago. Never used one and this thread saved me from asking a stupid question....(when I played "C" the tuner read something else...) Thanks!

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    What exactly menas "play in tune" ???
    Violins uses their own tuning system (based on 5ths -Pithagoras-), pianos are the most "out of tune" instruments (tempered is not a "natural" way of tuning), brasses should be tuned on a phisycal basis (naturally major 3rds are "flat or closed" and minor 3rds are "sharp or open")...
    It depends on the situation.
    Of course, you MUST be able to play in tune with an electronic tuner, but always keep on mind that your instrument is not a "tempered" one.
    Best regards !!!