out of tune

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BILL VAN, Apr 25, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Everyone's unique, and the base pitch of your buzz may be different.
    Try some exercises, like playing a note on the piano, and buzzing it on your mouthpiece to get it in tune.

The tuning slide is there to put you in tune. It really doesn't matter where it ends up, as long as all the notes sound in tune.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Maybe you need to get some lessons from someone to help you with your intonation problem? Of course you don't get much sympathy with the way you posted.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Bill,

What replies are you referring to?

I don't see any smartaleck replies to your other post.

At least not mine.....I was dead serious in my reply to you.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Bill,
    Pulling it out that far seems a little much. Maybe if the bore size is different(and I'm just guessing) the difference in the old horn and the new horn is causing you to unconciously to change your embrochure a little. Maybe its just gonna take your body a little while to get use to the new horn. Mark Van Cleve has an interesting site on intonation that might be worth a read. If the situation bothers you after a reasonable amount of time, take the horn back and try another one of the same style and brand. Not all trumpets sound the same even if they are the same make and model.
    Or, if it bothers you alot, take it back tomorrow (if you bought it local) and try a couple different versions of the same horn and see if there's a difference. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bill,
    how about slowing down a minute. Yes you bought a new horn, Yes you overdid it with the pencil, or your practice, or whatever. Before going nuts, how about some basic assessment of the situation.

The tuning slide is there to first of all change the length of the trumpet. That changes its resonant pitch. In theory, most players with decent breath support and body use will have a "similar" position. I can switch horns with most of my colleagues during a rehearsal and not HAVE to move much of anything.

IF a player does NOT have their breathing and body use together, the pitch suffers. Weak support makes the pitch lower and that player would have to push the slide in. Intense body tension will RAISE the pitch and create the need to pull the slide out. 2 inches shows some pretty serious issues. I have told you that they are not "curable" over the internet. You need some personal attention.

Don't get a case with any of us here on the internet. I have posted many times that hardware will never solve a software problem. That seems to be your issue. You bought a new horn, are anxious for results and have only discovered new problems. A pro horn will expose any issues that you have.

My advice is to slow down and get professional help.

6. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Last summer, Freelancer's Alumni horn line got a matched set of Dynasty horns. It was a very hot day, and we all had our tuning slides pulled way out, about 2-2 1/2 inches . . . As weather cooled off over the fall, the slides went back in. I've since changed over to mellophone, and the slide is only out about 1/4 inch as per my usual - even on my trumpet. I don't think the sopranos (think G trumpets) are pulled out as far at the moment either. It could be that the weather is not as hot yet, and it could be that we've all adjusted to the horns . . . Were we overpowering the horns? Pushing too hard? Bending with our chops because we'd all been playing on Bb's up to that point?

Whatever the case, there are a lot of variables - including, but not limited to the horn itself.

Could it be that you are not used to the sound of the horn and unconciously bending the notes - trying to find a pitch? Do you have a tuner with a clip that you can clip to isolate other noise out? See if you can look away from the tuner, or if it's a tuner that clips right to the horn, close your eyes, play a C, then open your eyes or look at the tuner - does it make a difference?

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    If you scroll down, from the top, a forum thread rarity here, has occured. It's the old 1-2-3.
    the right-left-right.
    the old hi-lo-hi.
    The "Rope-a-Dope" as Ali called it.

Three officials in a row chimed in. And they used the dreaded exclamation points......and laughed about it; rather intimidating, and embarrasing.

Coincidence, I do think so. And I don't blame any body for having a good time on the forums, even if they do have a "badge and a taser". They say, one of 'em even has a real gun!!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The moderators/artists are trumpet players like many others here. They post from experience, sometimes straight ahead, sometimes with a bit of humor. Sometimes I get the impression that it is expected (by some) that we keep out of the discussion and just "moderate" when necessary. When we do post, there seems to be an expectation that we deal with everything and everybody with kid gloves. As many have noticed, we are very much interested in being part of the discussion.

This is an open internet forum. That makes it tough sometimes to judge intent of a post or answer. Reducing everything to lowest common denominator is not a solution - it only introduces a new problem. When we post here, we can only assume that other people will read what we have written. We have no indication whether we have posted in a manner easily understood or commanding sympathy from the vast body of "strangers" that visit and post here until we get responses. That is part of the "community experience"

Bill is dealing with this issue (it would only be a PROBLEM if the tuning slide were too short). He has a lot of info, and at the end of the day will have to make decisions based on his own analysis. I am sure that he will do the right thing!

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I feel you are a peaceful man, and it is because of the rarity, as you label it, of your post frequency, that your collegues back you up immedeatley, praising your post... trying to encourage you to post more often.

I think you should post more often, then the impact of it would be lessoned to those that encourage you to post more, your collegues, perhaps.

10. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    somewhereabouts in the realm of what this topic was about before, on my schilke s22 i only pull the slide out about a quarter of an inch or sometimes less, but when i got my B7 i had to pull it out nearly an inch and a half at first, and as i got more comfortable with the horn it's moved up to about an inch out where it pretty much stays now