Outer Finishes / Treatments

Discussion in 'Horns' started by misty.sj, Aug 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    It seems like the satin, shot-blasted, and other finishes are relatively new with trumpets. Are they more than aesthetic? I can understand how they would hide small scratches, fingerprints, etc. And they make the instrument stand out. But how do they affect sound? Are they durable? Are there any other implications? Are they all available in both brass and silver, or are there different characteristics of the metals that make them more suited to one or the other?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sandblast finishes have been around since at least the very early 1900's, if not earlier. A lot of older horn manufacturers (Conn is a good example) made trumpets in a satin silver finish with polished silver engraving and slides. Some even had a gold wash inside the bell flare and on the engraving. The "scratch" finishes you see are relatively modern, though. A lacquered brass scratch finish would be pretty durable, but either silver plate, gold plate, or raw brass scratch or blast finishes will look bad after the finish is worn from playing. Silver and raw brass will also tarnish, and polishing them will smooth out the rough finish over time. There's also the problem with repairs or modifications - it's hard to match the existing finish unless you redo much or all of the horn. I don't think these finishes do anything to/for the sound or playing characteristics of a horn. Here's a pic of the bell of a '27 Conn I own - although it's worn, you can see the difference between the silver plating around the engraving - the bell and valve section are sandblast finish, with a bright silver finish under the engraving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Dale!

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Where have you been hiding misty?

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had to take a break after the NYTC contest. I have to confess I got so burnt out from posting that I thought I would never want to see this site again LOL! Also I have been really busy, my husband and I are trying to start a family, etc. But I'm at a better place again so here I am. Of course I've been playing the whole time, just not posting.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Let' see.....

Going on TM or trying to start a family.......

Not much of a choice for me. :roll:

-cw-

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    LMAO. I didn't mean we were trying to start a family 24/7! That would be exhausting!!

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Good to have you back Misty!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nor me - got the family (good things come in small parcels - but the little buggers get really big and eat heaps) - now I NEED TM.