Ovate Tuning Slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kireduk., May 26, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kireduk has made a couple of nonsense statements in this thread. "Seeing" where the Getzen tuning slide is lacking, "What was professional quality in the sixties is considered intermediate today". I wonder where people hear this stuff or why they make it up. It certainly is nowhere near the truth.

2. LoOsE cHoPs

LoOsE cHoPs New Friend

Jan 12, 2011
    America
    So true; I played a friend's committee and it just works its way into your soul.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I play a Genesis. The tuning slide is indeed short but there is no need to pull it more than a half inch or so. I play mine pulled about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch most of the time. The shortness is because of the interchangeable leadpipe, which cannot be extended out at the receiver end because it won't clamp into place unless seated fully.
    It is a dark timbred horn, and the ovate slide loosens its slots a bit as well as contributing to the timbre.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes, obviously a Getzen Genesis, which runs a couple grand the last time I checked, is going to have intonation problems because the tuning slide doesn't measure out or look like a Monette. :roll: Really!?

Sorry - I haven't waded through this whole thread - I just saw that statement and kind of shook my head due to what it said.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I've tried to pull the slide to play in A. The trumpet or cornet just didn't play right. I could get it to play in tune but I couldn't get it to play. I know the old cornets and some trumpets were made that way. I think they stopped making them for a reason.

For Carmen (written for A), goes down to a low F if you play it on a B-flat cornet or trumpet. This is a great reason to pull the slide. It sounds funkey when I do it. It's easier to transpose the part and just worry about the one bad note instead of making them all bad.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Every time you change something on the trumpet, it changes the way it plays.
    Monette came up with his design to make the trumpet play a certain way. Getzen must have had a little different idea of what he wanted so he changed the layout.

Maybe the longer slide makes the notes lock in better and Getzen thought it shouldn't do that. Everybody has their own idea and through trial and error they come up with what they want to offer us.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Or maybe it just doesn't matter that much and it's done because it looks cool and is a fantastic marketing gimmick?

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think so.
    On a Bach trumpet with the almost 90Deg bends and the half round slide people have reported a big difference. I think an Ovate is somewhere in the middle.

Reverse lead pipe and regular, people say there is a difference so I would think moving the bump where the slide goes in would change the way the trumpet plays. It probably changes tuning more than anything.

Just from reading here and on TH, I have read a lot about Getzen and Monette experimenting with new things.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Kireduk, weren't you just selling a Genesis 3 weeks ago?