Over my head

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, May 27, 2011.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I've only had the school sorts of those, no wedding i've ever been to has ever gone on too long. I think.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Reminds me of a wedding I played with a quintet a few years ago. Someone in the wedding party made a literal last-minute change to the general recessional music, switching from a manageable piece to the same one we played for the bride and groom (don't remember the piece). It was long, mostly all above the staff on a C trumpet, and repeated over and over and over and...

I just about died before everyone was out. That's why I don't like to do weddings. Maybe a wedding gig horror story thread would be a good idea.:D

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Many years ago I played at a wedding of a friend of my sister's. Trumpet Vol. was the processional. Rehearsal with with no problem. But at the wedding, she missed her cue and then froze. She finally came in about the 3rd time around. The organist didn't like doing each section with trumpet, then without, so it was a solid blow. I gave blood that day. (through my chops)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I played a graduation with my jazz band for a graduating medical school class. The school decided to try something different from the traditional brass choir so hired my band.

We opened up with the first 16 bars of Pomp and Circumstance as an intro, then immediately segued into "Dolphin Dance" by Herbie Hancock. It worked so well, and we improved between repeats and took the head out as we saw the last student process into the main aisle. It timed out perfectly and the mood was so cool.

How can you top that off? We processed them out with Randy Weston's Hi-Fly, with the drummer giving the classic march intro vamp. I had so many people come up to me after the session with praise. One said it reminded them of a graduation they attended at Tulane in New Orleans.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  5. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Most brutal playing for me was a multi-chorus rendition of "2nd Line" for an art auction. Just me and a drummer, marching thru the venue, up stairs, down stairs, around the hall, repeat several times, following the semi-inebriated woman chairing the event parading around with a parasol. Between the marching, the stairs, and having no other instrument to help damn near killed me (I was in my late 50's at the time).
    Only payed the Trumpets Vol one time at a wedding, just me sight-reading the silly thing on a Bb horn. Thankfully they walked fast....

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I did a naughty thing a couple of years ago at my son's graduation (I was playing in the band and am one of the longest serving School Councillors) - just as the official party entered the Hall I quickly passed around the score for "Send in the Clowns" - if looks could kill - the Principal saw the funny side but I sure got a none to complimentary (but very funny) acknowledgement during the speeches. Was it worth it? You bet. Would I do it again? If I thought I could get away with it. I'd love to have a go at a political rally. :roll:

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Crown Imperial was commission of Sir William Walton by the British Broadcasting Corporation in 1937 as the coronation march for King George VII. The copyright in the U.S. was renewed in 1965. Lately, it was used as the recessional at the Wedding of Prince William to Katherine Middleton. I thought I had it among my Mother's piano/organ music but couldn't find it and ordered it online. It may have been that my Mother took it with her when she moved to WI to live with my oldest brother as they also moved her folded spinet with her. Anyway, while I now again begin to play, I've been transposing this piece for all my brass horns and can relate to what others have here prior stated.

For graduations in my life it has always been Sir Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance as the processional and Guiseppi Verdi's Triumphal March as the recessional, both with repeats as needed. All I remember is a clip of Felix Mendelsohnn's Wedding March, about where the trumpeter played a second trill, as Bet and I scrambled out out of the church almost 44 years ago. I did play in our HS orchestra for my late brother Bill's HS graduation. Otherwise, it has been durn few times I've played anything at the actual wedding, but hundreds of times at the receptions, once at a Polish wedding reception where we rotated with another orchestra on Friday night straight through Saturday night until 2:00 AM on Sunday ... if there ever is a next time I want a change of clothes available ... too many polkas. That was 1953 and we each were paid $1,000.00 in 10 crisp $100.00 dollar bills ... and there was no griping about that. Still, it took over another hour to get my car retrieved from the hotel garage. Guests were first! Gripe! Gripe! Gripe!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    And I bet you beat the wedding party to Burger King!!!:-P

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You got that straight!!ROFL

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've been in many wedding service situations where I had to swallow cold box cereal, a glass of juice and take my hot coffee in a thermo cup on my way to the bride's home, do my thing there and get to the church where the groom had arrived and do my thing there and then assure that all was in readiness for the brides arrival and do my thing, and do my thing as the then married couple exited.

Then there was just about one hour lapse where I had to both eat lunch and drive up to 50 miles, or at least have pre-knowledge of the location of your destination if less. Burger King or the like drive thru was my only option if I wanted lunch before I was due to do my thing at the reception, and as service it was not usual (although infrequently arrangements with the kitchen had been made) to be included for lunch or supper there.

No my service then was not music, but can anyone say what I was doing per the preceding? The bottom line is: To provide your best, you must regularly eat!