Over Practicing ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Sep 30, 2013.

1. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Probably gunna answer my own question here

Been hitting it pretty hard lately, a 50 minute session before work

Then 3 hours after work with a band rehearsal once a week , after which I'm toast

The day after rehearsal I only play long tones and some lip flexibility stuff

Every week I feel I go backwards for a while then there is some progress

This week however I've hit a wall, everything feels off

Should I work through it and get stronger again or take a day or two off?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Work up to it, but do NOT TAKE DAYs off. Basic muscle physiolgy NEEDS daily activity to keep from loosing memory from the day before. If you can work up from 50 minutes to 90 minutes at one shot, by increasing rehearsal time each week by 20%, then when reaching he 90 minute threshold, should hold you for band rehearsals where you have time off between time on over a three hour period.

From my experience, I find that a once a day 90 minute rehearsal time affords me the stamina to make it through a 3.5 hour rehersal day (like my Mondays) AND two 4 hour gig dates on weekends. Anything less than a 90 minute session on days I am not gigging or in rehearsals and I begin to loose my oomph when playing extended times with rehearsing bands and playing back to back extensive gigs.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Robeebee, I don’t think it is a problem at all to put this kind of time on the horn, Lord knows I do more often than not. Although you may need a rest period. Chop muscles are like every other muscle, when you give it a really hard workout, it needs a few days to repair itself. Sounds like a bit of fatigue to me. Take two days, play for about an hour each day, long tones as soft as you can and stay below a “G” in the staff, pedal tones are even better. You should be fine by the third day….. This is how I handle chop fatigue and it works well for me. Good luck !
    I agree with Gmonady...90 minutes a day keeps me at peak performance....

4. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Would the change to a large bore horn have an effect?

I've just changed this week

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That depends on the efficiency of the horn AS WELL AS the ability of the amplitude of the sound wave leaving the mouthpiece bore as being optimized at the point it enters the leadpipe. You can play for ever on a large bore Harrelson trumpet just by vertue of the Harrelson horns optimizing the energy of the wave form generated at the leadpipe up to the point where the sound enters the bell.

Also, I stronly believe that if you can optimize the sound wave amplitude at the entry of the leadpipe, you have created in so doing the maximum energy with the minimal effort which is more influencial on stamina than the bore characteristics of the horn.

6. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I'll be fitting a Harrelson SWE trim kit and gap adjustment shim soon

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe you should find some benefit from doing this.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    have you tried icing your lips after practices ---- then massage them (ice to keep swelling down, and massage to get the blood flowing) --- also another thing, that I find which helps me is to take "anti-inflammatories" to reduce the swelling. ------------------ I know you didn't actually say -- SWELLING, but perhaps that is some of the problem --- just saying

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm a fan of taking a day off when really attacking the horn. A sabbath of sorts, maybe only a light warm up, but the idea is to give the chops a bit of time to recover. Trumpet exercises aren't exactly like bodybuilding but I like to think of repetitions 1-5 as building bulk, 5-15 strength, and beyond as endurance. (I will bow to one of our tame doctors to blow my model out of the water and give a better one.)

I would suggest playing a bunch of low Clarke Studies over and over and over again until and past the point that the chops tingle. That tingle is what we want to feel after playing, and represents blood flowing through our chops, and it cleans out the poisons and feed the muscle. Again, I'll bow to our tame doctors on this.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I had a double gig on Saturday. By midnight, I was toast. I didn't play the horn at all on Sunday. Today (Monday), I feel great.

Often it's not the initial injury that does us in. It's the secondary injury we cause by not resting after the initial injury.

I think Gary and Vulgano are right -- play lightly on recovery days. But at the same time, I have no problem skipping a day after extenuating circumstances.

Mike