Over Practicing ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Sep 30, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A large bore horn could have an effect. I have 3 and they all play differently. My Holton ST-302 is very free blowing and takes some getting used to. It's not for the fainthearted! Also, if you are in the habit of using too much mpc pressure to compensate for fatigue, you could be causing your problem that way.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    TrumpetMD – Same exact thing last weekend, Double on Saturday, didn’t touch the horn on Sunday, Monday I had all my chops ! This is also normal for me after a long day, don’t play the next day. I do the same thing before a long gig, play hard all week then just a short soft warm up the day before, basically no playing the day before. : )

3. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Fitted trim kit, I was sceptical but it does make a difference

Notes just click in better, my playing was a little better too

Some days I just don't have it

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Whimp!:bleah:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Played a demanding 4 hr gig on Saturday, 3 hour church gig Sunday, Monday had a 2 hour quintet rehearsal AND then followed by a 3 hour big band rehearsal yesterday, and today, did a 1 hour Jazz Band rehearsal with the public school I mentor today, then came home to practice an hour and a half. I feel GREAT! No breaks for me... oh no, no breaks for me... the world just demands too much of my lips... and I am here to provide lip service! Yep that's me, Dr. Lip Service!

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Show-off! :-)

Mike

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    can anyone VERIFY the claims by GM, other than GM?? --- just saying unless we have corroborating testimony from at least 2 witnesses, then we can NOT substantiate the claims of GM!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL (((to clarify - he might have had witnesses at most events, but can we really verify his practicing at home????))))

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just listen to Marvin:
    Can I get a Witness-Marvin Gaye - YouTube

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Twice in my life I couldn't get myself tired. The fist during a brass ensemble workshop, which involved tons of playing--6 to eight hours a day of finesse filled music making. The second was preparing for a quintet tour in Japan. Most of the required playing was in the staff, sometimes slow and sometimes fast. This in addition to my daily routine, which got me well above and well below the staff.

So we're looking at about two hours of high-impact playing and six to eight hours of low impact playing, and this way 1/3 to 1/4 of our playing day is spent on the physically hard stuff .

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This has happened to me also, just a few times… Man what a feeling ! If that is what being “One” with the horn feels like I want more of that !! Both times for me happened at the perfect time, in an R&B / Funk / Rock band with a Killer good book. What sucks about it is that you can remember the feeling, but you can’t re-create it, it’s something that just happens… like those magic moments with a band. Nice post VB, if more people have experienced this, it could make a good thread !