Overbite

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Nov 11, 2012.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    So I have a little bit of an overbite in my jaw structure, and I can't help but think that I have a disadvantage when it comes to playing and also range. Should I be moving my jaw forward to compensate for my overbite when I play in the upper register?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Don't over think. This trumpet playing stuff ain't that hard.

3. Xeno

Xeno New Friend

Feb 3, 2008
    Hi,

I know it has been a while since you made this post. I'll still respond though, because I think it is important.

I have been interested in the topic of teeth and trumpet performance, and I've been doing a research study on it. There is a lot to be discussed, and a lot of different solutions to be considered.

I've had several students with an exaggerated overbite (which is really "overjet," the term has been used wrongly in the literature), and I also have a little trouble with that myself.

I think it can influence playing quite a bit. The first thing I suggest is to make sure that the mouthpiece is in contact with the lower teeth. In most exaggerated overjet cases the upper lip takes a lot of the mouthpiece pressure and doesn't have much chance to vibrate freely, which can especially affect the high range and endurance. When placing the mouthpiece, and also when playing (especially the high notes), making sure that you are in contact with the lower teeth, as well as the upper, can take care of the problem.

I personally don't like the jaw-thrusting approach, because I think it feels unnatural and causes unnecessary tension.

That's my two cents, hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A penny's worth more ... if one needs the jaw thrust to play well, so be it ... whatever works. To some degree, IMO most of us some overbite ... a little or a lot.

Before I got my full upper denture I had more than I do now, but I'd now say I've about 1/16th of an inch. Still, with a slack separation of my teeth while I play, I'll not say there is any noticeable difference in jaw position. However, without the slack separation of teeth, I'll ponder how any can do any tonguing.

5. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Most people have some degree of an overbite. Since you have "a little bit" , don't worry about it. Forget about moving your jaw forward too.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Xeno

Xeno New Friend

Feb 3, 2008
    yes, of course, people with normal dental anatomy has some overjet. When it is exaggerated though, it can become a problem.

As for jaw thrusting, if it feels natural it's all good; it means that's where your anatomy is taking you anyway.. but if you force it and it feels unnatural, I think it can be counterproductive. That's what I personally think anyway.

ps. "A penny's worth more..." --> wish you happiness, seems like you need it.

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Have an overbite, slight, not an issue. Air and lips, not teeth, make the sound, and as long as lips are making contact, it'll be fine