Overly sharp B note on King trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fetuccini, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Fetuccini

Fetuccini New Friend

Nov 22, 2010
    Hi,
    I have a King Tempo 600 trumpet that I've been playing for about 6 months. Before that i learnt to play on a pocket trumpet.
    My problem is that the B note seems really sharp on my King trumpet - I didn't have that problem with my pocket trumpet (which was an unknown Chinese brand).. Also yesterday i went into a music shop and tried another trumpet (a cheap basic one from China) just to compare to mine, and it seems it doesn't have that problem either with the overly sharp B note.
    Could this mean there is something wrong with the pistons of my trumpet? Or is it normal for the King Tempo to sound like this. I know I have the slide to counteract the sharpness, but i would rather not have to use this if possible!

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Good question.:-)

Firstly, the King 600 is a fine trumpet. It did not have any major tuning problems. If you are playing the B sharp, it could be that your original pocket trumpet was flat on this note and you have learned to compensate for this. You then carried that compensation to your KIng 600. Flat B (A=440) is a much more common design fault than a sharp B.

I would ask an experienced played to blindly play your King and you can see if the problem is with the horn or with your playing. If it is with the horn, then it could be caused by dirt or leaks. Do not fixate at this stage on possible details. Clean the trumpet yourself if you have the flexible brushes for it. This will at least remove the dirt. If the problem persists, contact a repairman, especially one who is an experienced player and able to detect for themselves the issue you describe.

If the problem is with your playing of this horn, seek some lessons to help settle your blowing.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As usual, Ivan has given sound advise. I would only add one thing. That is, if Ivan's suggestions don't resolve the issue, try a different mouthpiece. In particular, check the mouthpiece insertion into the receiver. I had a trumpet that was off on only one note. I finally realized that the mouthpiece did not insert the normal distance into the receiver which left a large gap inside the receiver between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the leadpipe. It did that with every mouthpiece that I tried. I had the receiver reamed out to allow the mouthpiece to insert fully and that solved the problem.

4. Fetuccini

Fetuccini New Friend

Nov 22, 2010
    Hi thanks for the advice to both of you.
    Actually i've confused notes, it's actually the note with all three fingers down, so the C# - this note on my pocket trumpet was fairly in tune, but on my King it's a little painfully sharp.
    I just tried swapping my 3C to the 7C mouthpiece but not sure if it makes any difference (maybe a little, but hard to tell if it's just me imagining it or not).

5. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    C# is another story completely...Compensate with the third slide, thats why its there! And please please please, for your own good, stay away from chinese junk horns!!!

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Good advice generally about the third slide , but please don't suggest that all Chinese horns are junk. They have improved out of sight

Andrew

7. Fetuccini

Fetuccini New Friend

Nov 22, 2010
    Yeah, as i said i learnt on the chinese trumpet and now have a King 600 - i'm just surprised that on a quality trumpet like a King it goes so out of tune on the C# and on the cheap chinese one it sounds pretty in tune (the C# that is)!

8. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Hi
    You will generaly find that most trumpets play the low c# sharp as well as the other lower notes, like what was said before pull out the 1st and 3rd slides to compersate.
    Remember to listen not only your self but what is playing around you.
    Just because you adjust the slides for the c# it may cause other issues on other notes learn to adjust (lipping up and down will playing)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010