overpracticing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 20, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi recently I have been doing a lot of high and loud playing. My range didnt improve it is still around high C, #C, D

But my notes such as G, #G, A, bB, B under high C become a lot stronger -more solid so to speak

I am writing this because I feel I am tired. Should I just stop for 2 days, or should I practice soft. I experience a slight pain in my cheeks (not lips but tissue around lips

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Pain is not normally a good sign. Whatever you do, if the pain persists, you're likely experiencing some kind of tissue damage. Kept up long enough, damage may not be reversible. Teachers, more experienced players perhaps can tell you more if they hear and see you play.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pain in the corners is OK, but if the cheeks start hurting, stop playing.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I look at practice like riding on an excercise bike. You want to push the envelope and I read that you have done that with your range being more dependable. If you feel that you have overdone it your lip will tell you that on your next practice session and its time not to stop but to back off and work on something else like tounging, tone, or sightreading. Not every day is it wise to go to the edge and look over, easy music needs to be played too. Everyone wants a killer range and endurrance to match but musicians want the whole package and range usually takes care of itself when everything else is working. Best wishes.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds like words of wisdom to me, Larry

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    rest a day or two, and play softly -- then give it to it again if your building chops or loudness. it's like building other muscles -- a day or two of rest is important. let the cheek recoop -- then play it again.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Are you talking about actual pain, or fatigue? When I over practice, I feel fatigue in my cheeks. I never feel pain in my lips, and while my cheeks and corners may ache somewhat, I never feel actual pain.

If it's fatigue and aching, you're OK, but take it easy and give it a rest.