Overtones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I've seen various posts here that say "listen to the overtones". Is that just jargon for "the sound of the note" or is there something more than that? How do you listen for the overtones or how can I tell that what I'm hearing is overtones versus just the regular sound?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here's one way:

Sit at a piano with the top open so your sound can get to the strings.

Push the right pedal down and hold it while you play a note on the trumpet. The sound from your trumpet will "excite" some of the strings in the piano so that they vibrate. End the note on the trumpet, keeping your foot on the pedal, and listen to the piano strings ring. You should hear more than the pitch you played.

Play on the trumpet a low C (Bb concert) while holding down the Bb on the piano to the left of middle C. End the trumpet note, but leave your finger on the piano key and it will ring. Now, hold the piano Bb an octave higher, and once again play the low C on your trumpet. When you stop the note, you will hear that higher octave Bb on the piano ringing.

Repeat this with the same trumpet note, but hold down the F above that last Bb, It will ring. As you go higher, what notes on the piano will respond? Test it and see.

The low C on your trumpet contains overtones which are vibrations twice as fiast, 3 times as fast, 4 times as fast, etc., as the vibrations which produce the C and make the low Bb on the piano ring. The overtones are present as a part of that note, and as you learn what to listen for you may begin to actually hear them when you play. Without the overtones the note would sound dull, and dead. With them you get brightness, and the "timbre" which is characteristic of your trumpet/mouthpiece/player combination.

trickg likes this.
  3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Great info. And here I practice right next to a piano so it'll be real easy to try out. Oh, and seems like I can turn that into a parlor trick too! Impress the wife and kids. :lol:

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    this is a great exercise....I will add a few more things.
    the more overtones you have in your sound, the more core or meat or fatness you will have.
    Don't get caught up in achieving perfection though....every horn accentuates certain frequencies more than others....try to achieve a proper balance.
    A strobe type tuner is essential for this fine tuning

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    There is a whole series of overtones that come with a trumpet note .... some you can hear and some you can't. Your dog will hear a lot of those that you can't (turtles too) ... But you can teach yourself to hear more of the overtones coming off the horn, that are within the range of human hearing. It's a good exercise to really listen for them. Helps to be in a very quiet environment, both room and mind.:-)

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Damn, N +1 + Piano :shock: Will it work with an Electronic Keyboard?

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, but N+1+P is better IMHO than N+1+EK. A loudly banged piano note with the top open probably contains more overtones than a similarly amplified keyboard drone, coming out of an amplifier. They're probably more organic too.

Turtle

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    only if you use a microphone

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you can also try playing a note and directing your air spream a little high in the mouthpiece .. you will hear less overtones and as you move it down eventually you will hit a sweet spot and the horn will light up and you will hear overtone ringing out...... Well it works for me

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Once I'd been in the section long enough to "mind-meld" I would imagine the principal playing above me while practicing my third part. It was years later that the second player told me he had been amazed at my ability to match the principal player's sound, and frankly, it was a wish to do so, but the mechanics were totally unconscious.

Your mouthpiece/horn combination will favor some overtones more than others, but for an exercise, consider imagining the octave above (useful on piccolo) or the octave below (useful for a full orchestral sound).

Experiment, and have fun!