Overworked?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mgcoleman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I've had a busy few weeks, including Easter today. While doing some lonv tones and lip slurs tonight, I noticed I was struggling to keep a good embouchure on my right side and was leaking air badly. Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, I am not presenting any stroke symptoms. My smile is slightly uneven, so I wondering if I have just over worked things.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you have a uneven smile, get yourself to a physician NOW!!!

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Just in case you don't understand what the good doctor is telling you is that you are indeed describing what might be a stroke symptom. Having been victimized by many small strokes because I was completely missing/ignoring obvious symptoms I would encourage you to seek medical treatment immediately.

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    From Wikipedia......

FAST is an acronym used as a mnemonic to help detect and enhance responsiveness to stroke victim needs. The acronym stands for Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time.[1]

Facial drooping: A section of the face, usually only on one side, that is drooping and hard to move
    Arm weakness: The inability to raise one's arm fully
    Speech difficulties: An inability or difficulty to understand or produce speech
    Time: Time is of the essence when having a stroke, and an immediate call to emergency services or trip to the hospital is recommended

If you hadn't been practicing as much as usual due to being busy, you might have some general embouchure weakness, but it would be symmetrical. If you have any question about this at all, go to the nearest E.R. immediately.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    It's better to go get checked and nothing is wrong verses not getting checked and something's wrong.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Learn your scaled better --- start with ER --- my Mom had strokes before, get checked out

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To all on TM. If you have signs of motor weakness, trouble speaking, trouble smiling, eyes drooping or numbness or tingling sensation on one side, do go directly to the ER, and don't wait until the next day (or two). We now have amazing medications that can totally reverse an otherwise permanent debilitating condition if they are given IN THE FIRST FOUR HOURS of symptoms. That is why my first post stated go NOW.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    My Mom recieved that kind of medical care - although there some "different" nuances in her attitude and some memory loss -- she can function well ---- 10 yrs since the strokes, she's doing well

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'd sure like to hear something positive from mgcoleman; it's been a couple of days....

10. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    mgcoleman: are you OK?