Overworked?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mgcoleman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry I thought Bell's Palsy was shaking the front end of your horn to get a huge vibrato.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    As in more than just the muscles around my mouth? There is/was some weakness around the upper right part of my face, leading to an ever-so-slight droopy eye (just enough to be an irritant).
    Progress continues slowly, but surely. I've been on the horn the last two days, just playing some soft long tones which was more for my morale than anything else!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh... See this is how we physicians can work toward less serious diagnosis. You see, if the peripheral nerve (outside of the brain matter involved in a stroke) is inflamed as in Bell's Palsy, the entire nerve distribution is involved, that includes the upper and lower part of the face. But if the damage is central (from a stroke) ONLY the low portion (mouth) is involved. So yes, all that you describe now makes good sense. Odds are very good you will achieve full recovery.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Another update: good progress, probably at 90 recovered. Continuing Valtrex and steroid pills for 2 more days, however my doctor wants me to get back to regular playing as of today (which is perfect timing since I have brass band rehearsal tonight).

I know others have provided more impactful testimonies about more significant health challenges, but I am feeling terribly grateful to have the ability to play again. That's really an admission of having been one of those people who took for granted that ability...never again.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I thought that was a guy thing. "I'll give it a week to get better and then I'll make an appointment...." I've been chided for this by female physicians on numerous occasions. The male physicians understood.

Although I don't practice what I preach, I advise everybody (except myself, naturally) to be their own advocate when it comes to health issues.

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I'm reminded of what Arturo said in an interview someone posted a while back. Every time you pick up a horn, take three seconds to be thankful.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - you sound like me - "18 or so months ago the young and pretty female doctor ran her knuckle down my spine to access my level of pain 1 being nothing and 10 (yeeoweee) - so I told her "yeah about a 3 or 4 - not too bad" --- she comes around in front of me and says as she looked directly into my eyes - "I'm going to do that again, I suggest you be honest with me cause I'm going to press a little harder this time" ---- so I fessed up and said "Doctor it was more like a 9 on the pain scale - I will cooperate with you from now on"