owiee!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Oct 19, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    So, yesterday was my first public performance with my drum and bugle corps in over ten years. i spent the last six months practicing, rebuilding my embouchure, working on my range, and i pulled it off.

i have a question though, should i be "this" tired after a day of playing? here's how it went: we did an hour rehearsal in the morning and then four half hour performances with a half hour break in between throughout the day. at the end of the day i fell asleep on the car ride (girlfriend was driving) from the fair to my parents house for my dad's birthday, i felt like a zombie the entire time i was there and my lips were chapped. :-( Then to top it off my family wanted a "sample" of what i played, and noone would let me off the hook! i had to do a run through of my material! when i finally got home i fell asleep for ten hours!!

anyone else get this worn out after a day, or do i need to work on my endurance? by the way, i do feel like a million bucks right now, yesterday was great!!

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You sound like you had a very exciting day. It was a lot of playing especially in a high energy band and outside. What you felt was the com down after a lot of adrenaline flowed through your system. I have know people to suffer headaches for the same reason. you had been running in adreniline for several days and after the performance your body went into a standard recharge mode. After you do this more and more, you'll get used to it and you won't suffer the come down as much. What you experienced was normal.

Bob G

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is normal. The excitement alone can drain you like that. Playing on top increases the total draw.
    When I play a dance competition (8 o'clock in the evening until midnight for the competition and then dance music for the audience until 2:30) I lose between 3 and 4 pounds, inspite of the amount of fluids consumed. Figure that out in calories and you see what is really going on.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Man, I wish I could do 1/2 of that!

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Congrats -

You are the Rocky Balboa of the Drum & Bugle Corps!!!!

Not easy to comeback to something that physical. You talked about all the horn work - but hopefully you were doing just as much physical & aerobic workout too.

Keep up the good work!

6. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    thanks guys. yeah you're all right. playing lead soprano, belting out those high notes and the fact that it was outdoors and the practice and first two performances took place in forty - fifty degree weather, all took it's toll on me. with time i'll get used to it, i can't wait until my next performance.

thanks for the philadelphia love buddy, i never thought of myself as the Rocky
    Balboa of the corps, that's pretty funny!! Yeah, my comeback also included physical training; coincidentally only though. one hour three times a week.

alright guys, i gotta bounce, girlfriend is waiting on me.

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like a riot. :lol: