P Bone plastic Trumpet coming soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    P-Bone, the makers of the successful plastic trombone has just announced on their Face book site they are close to completing a plastic trumpet to market. It will probably be out later this summer. The trombone player in my band has a Pbone he uses now and then, and it sounds good ! I’ll probably buy one just for the novelty. The P bone is under $200.00 so the trumpet should price out well. Any thoughts ?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't have a lot of confidence in the performance/durability of plastic valves.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    At least there will be competition. Both p-Bone and Tromba are planning to introduce some sort of plastic trumpet.

4. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I can't imagine plastic valves making sense or working well at all... I wonder if they are going to be using metal valves with the plastic body? I guess the Chinese horns are getting better and better so it might not be unrealistic to get a decent set of valves pretty cheap, and then the plastic making up the rest of the body is virtually free once you get the molds worked out.

I dunno. It will be interesting for sure!

5. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Perhaps it will have metal liners like the Olds Pinto valve block?

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    In order to play a double high C on trumpet the wind that hits the lips is moving at such a speed that it will cause them to vibrate at 1,906.61 times per second for C4. Can a plastic trumpet handle that ?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You don't see your car exploding into small pieces from vibration, do you?

There are eleventy-billion plastics in the world, and a good engineer can likely pick good ones that can do the job.

The plastic itself is probably the least worry. I'd be wondering about how you lubricate it and whether there would be enough feedback.

Swatch uses a plastic fork and escape wheel in their automatic watches and it works astonishingly well, and that is one horrible environment.

We'll see it when we see it and then we can try it out to see whether we like it.

Tom

8. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Discussion of a $200 plastic trumpet makes my mind wander to a few horns I've bought over the years for $200 or less, and I then ask myself, "Which one would I have rather spent $200 on, this one or a new plastic one?"... Here are a couple recent ones:

$100
    [​IMG]

$189
    [​IMG]

$68 (just purchased on eBay - haven't received it yet)
    [​IMG]

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I got a lot of my horns for $200 or less, too, Dale. Then you have to add in $1200 for restoration with a valve refit. :-)

Tom

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    These I posted photos of are as-bought and include the shipping cost.. I left out the ones I've spent money on for repairs or restoration. Here's one more, for around $100...

[​IMG]