P Bone plastic Trumpet coming soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, Feb 21, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    They already produce an alto trombone…

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If one were to take all the industrial metals and expose them to the natural elements, there now are plastics that will survive longer. As for the valves, they essentially are only routers of the air stream and for slickness a lot of synthetic lubricants already contain plastic resins. Still, consumer merchandise is only manufactured to price point and replacement/renewal.

4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    on the p-bones the inner and outer slides are fiberglass, but the stockings where the inners contact the outers are brass. I think the trombone people are using maybe wax and water to lubricate.

5. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
  6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    What would make sense is plastic tubas and sousaphones, those are the really expensive horns. A plastic BBb would give a lot of students the opportunity to have one at home. Lots of kids only get to touch one in the band room.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    They've had them for many years (almost, except for valves and slides) made of fiberglas. Still, the price point doesn't make them affordable for individual ownership / home possession. Too, not many families would endure the sound of practice on them. Occasionally, in the late 1940s, my late brother hauled an all brass one home in its case tied on my little red Radio Flyer wagon (Now cases for many have their own wheels).

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    #1 Son has had a tuba and sousaphone stored at home for many years - and they aren't as expensive as you might think - I've only got just over $12K invested in two instruments - a PTuba or PSousaphone would be fabulous though.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    New all brass instruments in the U.S. float in the range from $8,000.00 to $14,000.00 for both tubas and Sousaphones, and Fiberglas about half that. I sold my silverplated CC tuba about 3 years ago for $2,000.00. It was H*** to keep clean and polished. Still about the only silver plate wear was on right thumb ring and shoulder strap connectors. With COPD, such was a bit much for me.

10. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    LOL. But seriously, even fiberglass is much more difficult to work with than plastic. Just to be able to have one at home that you don't drag back and forth. I can't see tuba practice as being any worse than trumpet. Plus think how much fun it would be to pull out your purple tuba at a high school party.