Pablo Casals

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by dizforprez, May 31, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Wilmer,

I have been recently reading “Casals and the art of Interpretation†by David Blum. Several times during the course of the book he mentions Casals’ association with the Marlboro festival orchestra. Since you were a member of that orchestra I was wondering if you two had crossed paths and if so could you tell us any anecdotes about him.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Marlboro was the experience of a lifetime.
    1965 was my first official year there. We recorded the Bach Suites that year. The Casals version of the suites is much slower than those we hear these days. He enjoyed every note of the works we were performing. Don Pablo had a vision that would be argued about today, but at the moment we recorded them his logic shines through clearly.

Casals was in his nineties, yet his beat was strong and clear.

I had a chance to hang with DP, Don Pablo, at many lunches.
    Lunch time at Marlboro could sometimes be like a scene out of Animal House. Food fights almost every meal, Rudolf Serkin was one of the worst offenders :lol: More than once Casals got clobbered by a thrown boiled potato.
    Some of music's most well known performers were there. Kodaly and his very young wife sat at our table one afternoon. He was horrified when the food and napkins started to fly.

John Mack, Harold Wright, John Barrows and Paul Ingraham were there.
    There seemed to be more real Strads there than at the Bach factory.

We went on a State Department tour at the end of that summer.
    In Nice I met, thanks to John Mack, Marcel Tabuteau. He paid me his highest compliment. He said,"Young man, you make the trumpet almost a musical instrument." He did not like trumpet players......that's a story for another time.

I am only beginning to talk about Marlboro........(to be continued)

Wilmer

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

quote="wiseone2"] Marcel Tabuteau. He paid me his highest compliment. He said,"Young man, you make the trumpet almost a musical instrument." He did not like trumpet players......that's a story for another time.

I am only beginning to talk about Marlboro........(to be continued)

Wilmer[/quote]

Thanks for that insight Wilmer. That explains somes things about John DeLancie.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Brian,

Here's the story.......no names mentioned.
    M. Tabuteau had a woodwind ensemble concert scheduled at Curtis Institute. A trumpet was involved in one piece. The trumpet player,who would become a legend, the day before the concert won a major job. He went out and partied, and got so happy he could not play the concert. His buddy, who also became a legend, went in to play for him. We don't know how he did, we do know that Tabuteau never forgave the trumpet.
    Wilmer

PS.
    DeLancie could have been a student in the ensemble :roll:

5. DonGiovanni

DonGiovanni New Friend

Apr 25, 2005
    Would the last names of the two trumpet players be Starts with J and starts with H......or maybe be starts with O and starts with P????

tabuteau hated trumpets because with a mute in we sound alot like oboes.....except were in tune....lol

take care Wilmer,
    DonGiovanni

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Thanks Wilmer that was a great story. Hey young Don it couldn't hve been the O I am thinking of because he never won a major job that I know of. I am thinking J and I think I know who H was. But then again; I am just taking a calculated guess.