Pain in the left hand after playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tlaws25, Sep 15, 2014.

1. tlaws25

tlaws25 New Friend

Dec 11, 2011
    Brisbane
    Pain in the left wrist and arm after playing

Hi there.
    I've recently been experiencing pain when putting my left wrist into a certain angle when not playing and now I've also been starting to feel some pain and numbness in my left arm after practising.
    After some research, I've been seeing articles and webpages that talk about ''Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'. I don't know whether it is this 'CTS' or just a bad strain in the left arm however I'm quite worried about it and I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow to try and figure out what it is.

Has anybody experienced what I've been through and can give me some info. or tips? Any Doctors or Physiotherapists out there that can help?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I don't want to come over as though I know what I am talking about because I am not a doctor but could I ask 2 things, one how tight do you hold the horn with your left hand, and what angle do you hold the horn at?

3. tlaws25

tlaws25 New Friend

Dec 11, 2011
    Brisbane
    1. I hold it firmly. I don't think I hold it too tightly.
    2. Angle.jpg

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I also am no doctor, but I would just note that I hold the trumpet a little differently, with my little finger ("pinky" finger) under the 3rd valve slide, taking some (not all) of the weight. When I adjusted my grip to match your photo I noticed an immediate redistribution of weight with the trumpet feeling more forward-heavy and heavier to my third ("ring") and middle fingers. I'm not sure I can say for certain my arm feels any different.

Also, I try not hold it too "firmly". Firm enough, but also kind of hanging there, index finger under the bell at the pivot point.

--bumblebee

(Here is a photo of Claude Gordon holding his trumpet similar to the way I hold mine: http://www.paulcacia.com/Pictures/01 TRUMPET ARTIST/Copy of Claude Gordon.jpg

Note that this photo may be a "posed" one, and I refer to it only to illustrate where I put my little finger, and not as a hard+fast recommendation or anything.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I'm also not a doctor, (even though I know a trumpet player that is), I am however a trained Sports Injury Therapist. That grip is causing you to extend the ring finger a little too much, which appears to be the main support for the trumpet. Also looks awkward to operate the slide like that. I agree with Bumblebee that the little finger could help spread the weight.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Roll your left hand further under the bell so that the trumpet rests on the first section of your index finger. The instrument should rest in your hand, not be held by it. Also make certain that your wrist is not bent back past a straight line with your forearm - drop your elbow to achieve this.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Correct! I only posted it after looking for a sample photo which resembled mine, not one which necessarily endorsed mine. I did wonder if that was his normal grip or not. I'll update my post above to clarify this.

--bumblebee

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My hands are quite small and I can't go under the third slide with my little finger but I do aim for roughly a straight line between fore arm and wrist with little or no cupping of the wrist. This means the valve stock is not perpendicular to the floor but canted off to the right from the players point of view.

Something looks very uncomfortable in that grip to me mainly the distance your finger is in the finger ring. it looks difficult to operate as well as uncomfortable to hold

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    tlaws25, your grip looks awkward to me. Try to use your hand to support, rather than grip the horn, as trumpetsplus said, as relaxed as possible, and just firm enough to keep it from moving too much when you press the valves. The first joint of your index finger (not the tip, the one nearest your palm) will support most of the instrument, and it may take a while before this is comfortable. Here's are two decent examples: https://purtle.com/jeff-correct-hand-position and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8 . Also, putting the pinkie under the third valve slide is awkward, too, as it prevents unencumbered movement of the slide itself.