Pain in the left hand after playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tlaws25, Sep 15, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't hook my index finger around the third valve, in fact my index finger points out a bit. The bell rest in between the first an second joint. I believe I point the finger out a bit to increase the contact area of the bell across my finger. The weight of the horn is supported by my index finger ( left hand) and my right thumb ( between first and second valve) lead pipe resting on my thumb. The horn does have a slight tilt to the right.
    Not saying this is what you should do .. it is what I do.
    on further review my index finger actually does slightly hook... touches the lead pipe and bell ... and comes around the third valve casing.... amazing the diff between what we think we do an what we actually do.. . well what I think I do and what I actually do

3. tlaws25

tlaws25 New Friend

Dec 11, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hey Everyone, thanks for all your replies and tips! I went to the physio today and the physio told me I had strained some cartilage in the wrist connecting with the Ulna bone. I will try out the new grips as well!!
    Cheers

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It could well be Carple Tunnel Syndrome. Your choices are:

1. See your doctor for an evaluation, if insured it will cost a $15-25 copay.
    2. Try using a cock up splint for your wrist A) While playing; B) While sleeping at night and after a few weeks, see if there is an improvement. Splint should cost between $10-20 (may save $5.00 in the deal)

My charge for this advice is $0.00 (not even putting in a 2 cent charge). But remember, you get what you pay for.:lol:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So... this would be more a ligament strain. New grips may help. Ice massage for 10-20 minutes twice a day would make this problem resolve faster. Keeping the joint stable for a week or so (ACE wrap or splint) may help as well. CTS still would be a consideration. I have a question though that may help, did you have point tenderness when the physiotherapist put pressure on the Ulnar bone or the tendons surrounding this bone at the wrist? If yes, that would make this diagnosis more likely. Capasin cream 4 times a day would help with the pain in the mean time while the inflammation resolves from the other recommendations I made.

Note: CTS can give referred pain to the Ulnar area. This is a tough call. The definitive answer, if the above options do not work, would be obtain a nerve conduction study.

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    When I was in college, and practicing a lot, I too had some left hand issues. I don't know if mine were the same as yours. At the advice of a chiropractor, I tried a tennis elbow band. You can get them at dicks or any sporting good store. They go on your forearm below your elbow and put pressure on the tenons and nerves that control your hand. I found it helped it me greatly. No more pain or numbness at all once I started wearing it. After a while, whatever I strained got better and I no longer had to wear the band. If you had a doctor give you advice, you should probably go with that, but that's my story.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We have a GIGANTIC one in Dayton... One of the biggest Dicks I've ever seen!

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Here in pa we have a grocery chain called "giant". I know of one shopping center that contain both a giant and a dicks sporting goods. The large sign out by the road is good for a chuckle everytime I drive by. Yes, they were stupid enough to put the giant sign directly above the dicks sign.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Geez, so many possible responses, butt, I don't want to offend anyone. Oops, that's a phallacious statement! :roll:

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I am a frequent abuser of the left hand "death grip". Try to make a conscious effort to check your grip strength every so often when playing/practicing.
    Agree with all the above.
    You also may try physically removing the horn from your right hand when you take small breaks and give it a stretch. This helps me from having to peel my fingers off the horn after a long practice.