Painting Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jul 18, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I'm planning of buying an Olds Ambassador with a rusty and rough surface with RED ROT. {It was a extra service from the seller :D }
    Since I can't lacquer the horn, I am thinking of buying silver paint and making it a silver horn.
    Is this good?? :-D

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No. A waste of effort and energy.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In World War II, the British Forces came up with a series of very unorthodox weapons. Some worked really well (like Sir Barnes Wallis' "Bouncing Bomb" that destroyed the Mohnetal Dam), some that did not work (like the "Great Panjandrum" rocket wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum) and some that were downright dangerous (like the "Parachute-and-Cable" [http://spitfiresite.com/2010/08/battle-of-britain-1940-kenley-raid-parachute-cable.html] or the "Mills Projector"). Dudley Pope, in his novel "Convoy" described these devices as "expensive and dangerous toys thought up by some madman chained up in the Ministry for Defence".
    Some of your projects and plans seem to me to have a similar background... and it also seems to me that you have too much time on your hands. As before: Sit down, do your finals and in the process, grow up!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    search on "Lacquer" here at TrumpetMaster or even better at Trumpet Herald. There are more than enough posts about lacquer vs plating vs raw.

You are planning on buying a lot of things, if you ever do get the Ambassador, just try it. It is reversable.....

If a student of mine came to a lesson with a self painted trumpet, we would probably leave it in the case and they would use one of my best horns as "punishment".

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Go for it, my experience with "Silver" paint is that it is very hard to get a good looking finish even with professional spray equipment, the silver colour is usually aluminium powder in a clear base, ok for boat trailers. I suggest if you want to try something use a spray can of a coloured gloss enamel, you can pick a lot of colours.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Been here before.

[​IMG]

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Then the bell looks "hand hammered"!

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Rattle can laqure works the same as rattle can paint

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wellllllll....

Remember I'm an old horn player...
    Rules for trumpeters don't apply to us freaks of nature...

Recall the old natural horn of the middle ages...typically raw brass on the exterior, but the inside of the bell painted flat black, and then decorated with various flower motifs.

I happen to be flooded with student double French horns right now...so I decided to refinish one of them to relieve boredom.

I first removed all lacquer with warm water, the used a fine BRASS BRASS BRASS wire brush to give a tiny bit of tooth to the finish..then to the EXTERIOR of the bell...yes...yes I did...I applied HAMMERED COPPER finish...being careful to spray in very thin coats so as to not have but a fine hammer effect. To the inside, I applied a nice flat black...and soon I will begin painting a repeated pattern of grape vines, grape leaves, and grape clusters...Remember, the metal of this student horn was THICKER than optimal acoustically so the tiny bit I affected probably helped playing more than hurt...

I THEN masked off the nickel portions of the slides and painted the brass slide loops.

I THEN painted a leather handguard to match.

So, still have to rewash the whole thing after I paint the filigree inside the bell, but it actually looks pretty cool.

Hogwash to naysayers. Now, if this was a prized $10,000 Mainz, I'd rather cut my hand off first...but a $400 horn? Shucks. Let the cosmic colors fly.

Now THIS will really get proper blue-bloods boiling:
    No more silly than stupid lacquer.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Even Buccin trombones (though they were novelties) were sometimes painted on the inside of the serpent's mouth. However, I would only apply paint to a $10 Blessing Scholastic, Bundy, Bach TR300, Yamaha 2xxx, or maybe Conn Director that had nothing better to do than be painted...