Painting Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jul 18, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Come on...it's freeing.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Not that I need more on my to-do list, but these ideas have gotten my creative juices stirred up. Maybe I wont be turning a wreck into a lamp, but how about some wall art? Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted. Best wishes.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'll post some before and after pics of the horn project when I'm done. It was VERY rough to begin with....finish-wise.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I know, I know. I've always promoted respect for old horns for having a soul and a life that goes back for decades and decades. I'm one of the ones that always cheer for the "survivors" to someday have a life and song again, like my M J Klashen Yankee. I hope that I can convince myself that I am saving a lump of brass from the recycler and repurposing it into art that glorifies its past life and the experience that it is rich with. I'm excited for this project. Best wishes.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    How about my project???
    My Olds Ambassador one?
    1. Strip Lacquer
    2. paint it with silver paint
    3. remove Olds logo by brasso or scotchbrite 000
    4. use scotchbrite 0 to remove scratch
    5. Use my EZ- Engraver pen
    6. Engrave my custom workshop logo
    7. BYE BYE OLDS!!!! :D
    8. BECOME A COOL CORNET :FFF

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Can you solder?
    If so, another whole new world of mischief opens up...

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    1. Oh please go into detail about your "custom shop".
    2. Oh please tell us how "BYE BYE OLDS!!!!" Would be an improvement.

Would you look at that....I just shuddered after typing that last blasphemous statement.

Have fun with your project...I'm going to go play my perfectly good raw brass Ambassador now and be content.

Kujo

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I say go for it, but don't use "silver paint" or "chrome paint" for that matter. I would suggest some sort of metallic lacquer (metal flake or pearl)--rattle cans work just fine for spraying lacquer, and if something does go wrong you can always wash it off with lacquer thinner. But first you need to clean the horn. Lacquer thinner is good and 0000 steel wool will help you remove any of the rough finish that is left. Might as well remove the spit valves and install new corks and springs while you have them apart. Once everything is nice and smoothed was the horn in something like taluene and let it dry in a dust free environment. By this time you've probably disassembled the horn, and now is the time to make sure your finish stays on the outside of the horn. Plug the slide tubes (I like rubber stoppers) mask off the threads on the valve caps and plug the valve casings (once again, rubber stoppers). Run a heavy wire (like a coat hanger) through the lead pipe so you can hang the horn while you spray it (you'll need to drill holes in the rubber stoppers). Then spray away. Many thin coats will work better than a couple of heavy coats--let everything dry to the touch before the next coat(s). A couple of coats of clear provides a nice top coat. Let everything dry for a couple of days before you start putting everything back together. Anyway it will work, but it takes a while to do it. Good luck!

P.S. I refinished 4 beater trumpets in school colors for a pep band when I was in college. They looked good and they were as playable as they were before the "treatment".

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
  10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And the painter might BE hammered...